A Harvard Etching.

Dear as Old Cambridge and its surroundings are to every Harvard man, there has never been up to this time any picture which preserves at once the peculiar charm of Cambridge itself and a suggestion of Harvard life. At length, however, the long felt want has been met, and Klackner and Co. have just published a beautiful etching of a Cambridge scene by Wm. Goodrich Beal, whose work has been of late so well received. The etching must appeal to all Harvard men, past and present, and at this time particularly, perhaps, to those whose class day is so near at hand, and who wish to keep beside them a pleasant reminder of their college years. The view is from the marshes on the Brighton side of the Charles looking almost eastward. In the foreground at a bend of the river lies an old dismantled boat shaded with marsh grass, and beyond, removed by two bends of the river, a single masted sail boat. Trees cover the rise between the river and the highlands, and over all at the right of the centre stands the tower of Memorial Hall, and by its side the belfry of the old Unitarian church in the square. At the right at a gap between the trees rises the roof of Holyoke House and at the extreme left, furthest away, the dome of the observatory peeps through the tree tops. The etching taken as a whole preserves the spirit of Harvard life much more than as if it were teeming with familiar scenes, and at the same time gives a suggestive touch of Cambridge itself. Aside, however, from its preeminent interest to Harvard men Mr. Beal's work is deserving of especial mention as a work of art, and merits the attention of all It may be seen in Boston at the art gallery of Noyes, Cobb and Co. on Boylston street.