Department of Geology, 1890-91.

The descriptive pamphlet of the courses in Geology has just been issued. The aim of these courses is to afford a succession of studies of a geological nature which may properly occupy the greater part of the time of the student for at least four years, provided he intends to make a special pursuit of either general or economic geology. At the same time, courses numbered 1, 2, 4, 4a and 8, and Chemistry C and 2, are intended to serve the purpose of those who wish to acquire a knowledge of the outlines of the science for the sake of the general information it may afford.

Courses numbered 1, 2, 4 and 4a, and Chemistry C and 2, are open to freshmen. The starred courses can be taken only with the previous consent of the instructor; and the graduate courses only with the recommendation of the instructor; all students who contemplate choosing any of these electives should confer with the instructors before filling their lists of studies for the coming year. A more extended description of the courses may be consulted on application to the instructors or at the College Library.

It is also desirable that students who intend to undertake professional work in any department of geology should consult their instructors as to the sequence of their courses of study.

The general grouping of the geological courses described below is as follows: primarily, for undergraduates, 4, 4a, 1, 2; for graduates and under graduates, 8, 9, 14, 22, 18; primarily for graduates, 15, 20a, 20b, 20c, 20d, 25. Those of the last group, except 15 and 25, are courses of research. Geology 4, elementary half course under professor Shaler. This course can be taken by seniors as an extra only. It gives a general knowledge of the subject, and includes lectures on the origin and nature of the earth's crust, continental and mountain fold, volcanoes, dykes, glaciers, etc. Goology 4a, elementary half course, supplementary to Geology 4; consists of laboratory and field exercises with occasional lectures. Course 8, a starred course, treats of general critical geology, under Professor Shaler, Assistant Professor Davis and Dr. Wolff. The work consists of lectures, field work and theses. This course is open to those who have passed satisfactorily in courses 4 and 4a. Course 9 is also starred; it treats of structural and dynamical geology. Course 8 is required as a preparation. Course 20b, geological field work, with individual study in the field, will be under the direction of Professor Shaler, Assistant Professor Davis, Dr. Wolff and Mr. Harris. Course 1, Meteorology first half year, with lectures twice a week, treats of the phenomena of the atmosphere. Course 2, Physical Geography, half course, second half year, under Assistant Professor Davis. Course 20a, advanced course, treats of physical geography and meteorology; course 14, palaeontology, twice a week, at the pleasure of the instructor; course 15, advanced, historical geology, field and laboratory work and theses, open to all who have taken courses 8 and 14. Course 20 is an advanced course in paleontology under Professor Shaler, open to all who have taken courses 8 and 14 and Zoology 3.