Teachers of Colleges and Preparatory Schools.

The New England Association of Colleges and Preparatory Schools is being entertained by the corporation of Harvard University. The meetings are held in Harvard 1, and both the classical and historical libraries have been elaborately fitted up for reception rooms. Professor J. H. Wright is on the committee of arrangements and to him is largely due the success of the entertainment.

The association met yesterday afternoon at 2.30 p. m., and began with a paper on "the practicability of abridging the course preparatory for college," real by Mr. Frank A. Hill of the Cambridge High School.

Mr. Hill had prepared a chart by which he showed that in France a man could complete a university education at the age of 21, in Germany at 22, and in the United States at 26. By "university education" meant a training in one of the professional school. In Europe the step from the secondary or preparatory schools into the universities is direct, while in the United States there is an intermediate step in the colleges. In this country there are two roads leading from high schools to professional schools, either through or around the college. Very few of the present high schools fit men for college; the high school curriculum is complete in itself, it is a cul de sac leading nowhere, and the high school graduate who wishes to change his mind and enter college must spend additional years in preparation.

There are two ways of preparing men for college earlier. Firstly, let special classical schools "dip down" into the territory of the grammar schools, take scholars at the age of 12, and prepare them especially for college, (what is now done by the Boston Latin and the Roxbury Latin Schools), or secondly, enrich the cause of education given in the grammar schools.

President Eliot opened the discussion by commending the action of the Boston and Roxbury Latin Schools in "dipping down" and taking men early from the grammar schools. The reason that only one-third of the men who enter Harvard come from public schools is that American parents are unwilling that their children should go through the public school course of nine years. The grammar schools can be improved by introducing languages earlier in the course when children take to them more readily, and by introducing geometry, algebra, and natural science. The grammar schools will continue their low standard as long as the requirements for admission to the high schools are so low. A nine-year-old ought to pass the entrance examinations to Exeter. The fault lies also with the scientific schools; it is easier to enter the Harvard professional schools than it is to enter Harvard college.

An interesting discussion followed carried on by Dr. John Felton of the Girls High School, Dr. Moses Merrill of the Boston Latin, President Seeley of Smith College, President G. Stanley Hall of Clark University, Mr. E. P. Seaver, superintendent of the Boston Public schools, Mr. Fox of Hopkins Grammar School, New Haven, Mr. Fish of Exeter, and Mr. Bradbury of the Cambridge Latin.

In the evening President Hall read a paper on "The Outlook of Higher Education." This morning there will be a business meeting, after which Professor Clarke of Williams will read a paper on Natural Science as a Requisite for Admission to College." Only members and invited guests are admitted.