Course in Classical Philology.

It has not yet been generally understood by undergraduates that the Greek department is giving an excellent half course in Classical Philology - intended primarily for freshmen and sophomores. The object of the course is to give in elementary form a general view of Classical Philology. The lectures, illustrated by the stereopticon views, come on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, at 3.30. and are given in turn by all the instructors in the course, and afford an excellent chance for men to get acquainted with the peculiarities and the methods of the various instructors. The lectures will give outlines of the following special topics: General scope and History of Classical Philology, Chronology, Grammar and Lexicography, Political History, the Antiquities, Political, Legal, Military and Private, the History of Philosophy. Mythology and Religion, the History of Greek and Latin Literature, and many others.

The class this year numbers fifty men, a very good number for the first year. But it is thought that if more men knew the details of the course and the advantages it offers, double, if not more, the number would take the course.