The Advocate.

The first editorial of the forthcoming number of the Advocate is a tribute to Professor Norton, a propos of his retirement from his active duties in the University. Professor Norton is the exponent of that which most of us come here for and no honor that we can show him is out of place.

In the same column is a comment on undergraduate writing. "We come here with no experience whatever, and in this interval, when experience is at once lacking and inaccessible, we sit us down to write literature." In a man's Junior year "he overdraws his slender fund of college experiences. Next he 'goes stale,' and further effort as long as he stays in college is useless." This, howver, may not be generally accepted as the condition of the normal undergraduate writer.

A delicate subject is treated strongly and sensible in "From Either Side." "Of Passing Moment" is a a dry little sketch of a typical college goody. "Tomasso's Triumph" over his own hot Italian blood is bright and fluent. A new field has been opened by the author of "An Unclean Hand of Providence," who describes an incident on the "long, low whalebacks (the lake men call them 'pigs')" which ply the Great Lakes.

At first there seems to be a touch of softness in "Jack Halter's Crime," but as the tale goes on we find a purely college story with clear glimpses of heroism, sentiment and love thrown in.