New History Library.

For some time past the number of reference books in the college Libraryhas been inadequate for the History courses. As these courses were growing larger every year, it became imperative that there should be some working library, open evenings as well as day times, and with enough of the really indispensable books to satisfy the demand. Professors Channing and Macvane recognized the necessity of such a place, and began early last fall to collect money for it. Thus far they have raised about $2,000. The college gave them the use of the room now known as Harvard 2, originally the old Physical Laboratory and later the Botanical Laboratory. Formerly a somewhat dismal place, it has been retinted, and is now most attractive. The room is furnished with large tables, build around the iron supports, chairs and shelves, and will accommodate conveniently about 100. On the shelves are already about 150 volumes of the most essential books, and before the end of the week this number will reach 200.

Three different kinds of burners are being tried, and the one that gives the most satisfaction will be used, regardless of cost.

The library will close at 10 p. m., and those who have keys may enter as early as they choose, for the building is open shortly after seven in the evening.

Professor Channing will be at Harvard 2 between twelve and one Tuesday to give keys to all History 1 men who wish them. A deposit of one dollar is required which will be refunded on returning the key.

The library is open to all the History courses, but is intended primarily for courses 1, 2, and 12. Books, however, may not be taken from the room.

Already a few gifts of books have been received, and any further donations of either new or second-hand books will be most acceptable.