Harvard 7; Morrill's Nine 1.

It was a pity that so few men were on Holmes Field yesterday afternoon to witness what turned out to be one of the best games of the season. Bates was wonderfully effective, allowing Morrill's men to make only two hits. One of these was the merest scratch, and the other was made by the last man in the last inning. The whole team backed up the pitcher in a way that left very little to be desired. Bates fumbled a grounder in the first inning and Dickinson another rather difficult one in the sixth, but with these exceptions the fielding of the team was perfect. Whenever one of Morrill's men got a base he was sure to be thrown out before he came home. Only one man scored, and only one was left. Bates watched the base like a cat, and whenever Cobb had a chance the ball went down to second with great speed and accuracy. But the prettiest part of the game was Hovey's playing at second. In the sixth he made a wonderful throw to the plate, and cut off the one man who had a chance of scoring after the first inning. In the ninth Cotter got his base on balls and stole second. It was the last chance of Morrill's men to score, and all eyes were turned towards the runner. He kept close to his base, but Hovey got in behind him very quickly, Bates threw with remarkable speed, and the man was out. It was a beautiful play. Dean also played a very pretty game. Morrill's nine fielded strongly except in the seventh inning, when they went to pieces and made seven errors in rapid succession. Their pitcher was also effective, and also watched bases carefully.

Our runs were made entirely in the second and seventh innings. In the second Alward, Cobb and Dean made pretty hits and Bates sacrificed, three runs being earned. In the seventh Frothingham and Alward made singles, which, aided by the seven errors of their opponents, brought in four runs.

Morrill's team made their one run in the first inning on Bates' error, a wild pitch and Wise's sacrifice.

The score:

HARVARD.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Dean, 2b., 5 1 1 1 0 4 2 0

Hallowell, c.f., 4 1 1 1 0 0 0 0

Hovey, s.s., 5 0 0 0 0 2 5 0

Trafford, 1b., 3 0 0 0 0 9 1 0

Frothingham, r.f. 3 1 2 2 0 0 0 0

Alward, l.f., 3 1 2 2 0 2 0 0

Dickinson, 3b., 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

Cobb, c., 3 2 1 1 0 10 5 0

Bates, p., 4 1 0 0 1 0 11 1

Totals, 32 7 7 7 1 27 25 2

MORRILL'S NINE.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Cotter. c. 3 0 0 0 0 3 5 1

Doe, p. 4 1 1 1 0 1 6 0

Wise, l.f. 3 0 0 0 1 1 0 0

Morrill, 2b. 2 0 0 0 0 7 3 3

Connor, 3b. 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 1

Maegher, c.f. 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 0

Murray, s.s. 3 0 1 1 0 2 1 4

Walsh, 1b. 3 0 0 0 0 6 0 0

Kiley, r.f. 3 0 0 0 0 1 1 1

Totals, 26 1 2 2 1 24 16 10

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 0 3 0 0 0 0 4 0-7

Morrill's, 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-1

Earned runs, Harvard 3. First base on balls, Hallowell, Alward, Dickinson (2), Cotter, Morrill, Connor. First base on errors, Harvard 7, Morrill's 2. Struck out, Trafford (2), Alward, Dickinson, Wise, Morrill (2), Connor, Maegher, Murray, Walsh (2), Kiley. Stolen bases, Hovey, Alward (2), Cotter. Wild pitches, Bates 2. Hit by pitched ball, Frothingham, Trafford. Out on bases, Harvard 6, Morrill's 6. Left on bases, Harvard 7, Morrill's 1. Time, 1 h. 45 m. Umpire, Quackenboss, M. S.