Harvard 7; Lovells 1.

The game yesterday was an easy victory for the Harvard nine. Lovell's team would have been shut out but for Hovey's error and Bates' wild pitch. Our batting was strong and well directed. This was especially noticeable in the seventh inning. With three men on bases, Hovey and Trafford hit long, high flies to the left fielder, and three runs were made on the throws in. On the other hand, the visitors could do nothing with Bates. They made four hits according to the score, but one of these was owing to a bad decision by the umpire, and two more were scratches.

The Lovells made their run in the third inning. Lyons was the first man at the bat. He knocked a hard grounder to Hovey who fumbled, Lyons reaching first. He stole second. Then Bates pitched a swift drop which struck the ground before it reached Cobb, and Lyons came home. In the fifth inning the visitors nearly scored again. Doyle came first to the bat. He hit a long fly to Frothingham who caught it near the ground, The umpire, however, thought that the ball was caught on the pick-up. Doyle having reached first in this way, took second when McKeever was given a base on balls. There he was caught very prettily by Bates and Hovey. McKeever was now advanced to second by Rudderham's scratch hit. Lyons had meanwhile flied out. Connor was hit by a pitched ball. With the bases full Fitz went out on an infield grounder, and the inning was ended. In the ninth again two men got to second. Laverty made the first clean hit for his side. Doyle knocked a fly to Frothingham who muffed it, but threw to second in time to retire Laverty, who was trying to steal. Lyons hit a grounder towards third, but Dickinson did not try for it, and Lyons got his base, Doyle going to second. McKeever flied out. While the next man was at the bat Cobb threw to Trafford to catch Lyons at first. Doyle tried to steal third, but Trafford threw to Dickinson, who ran Doyle out, ending the game.

Harvard made one run in the first inning on a base on balls, a steal, Hallowell's sacrifice and Hovey's two bagger to left field. Hovey got to third on Trafford's hit, but was thrown out at the plate in trying to make a run on Frothingham's grounder. to Rudderham. Trafford had stolen second and took third on this play, but he also was thrown out in trying to come home while the visitors were not looking. In the third inning Dean's two bagger, his pretty steal to third, and Hovey's sacrifice made one more run. Hallowell had gotten a base on balls and stolen second. He also went to third on Hovey's sacrifice. Trafford hit sharply to short stop who fumbled, and Hallowell came in. There was no more scoring until the seventh, when two base hits, a base on balls, a wild throw in from left field and two very timely sacrifice flies to left field by Hovey and Trafford netted us three runs. One more was made in the eighth on a three bagger by Dickinson and a wild throw to third by Gardner. Dickinson batted noticeably well throughout the game.

The score:

HARVARD.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Dean, 2b., 3 3 2 3 0 2 1 0

Hallowell, c.f., 2 2 0 0 1 1 0 0

Hovey, s. s., 4 0 2 3 2 2 1 1

Trafford, 1b., 4 0 1 1 1 10 1 1

Frothingham, r. f. 4 0 1 1 0 1 1 1

Alward, l. f., 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

Dickinson, 3b., 4 1 3 5 0 1 3 2

Cobb, c., 4 0 1 1 0 8 2 0

Bates, p., 3 1 1 1 0 0 10 0

Totals, 33 7 11 15 4 27 19 4

LOVELL'S NINE.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Rudderham, 2b. 4 0 2 2 0 4 4 0

Connor, r. f. 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Fitz, 3b. 4 0 0 0 0 1 1 0

O'Brien, l. f. 3 0 0 0 0 3 0 1

Gardner, s. s. 4 0 0 0 0 1 6 2

Laverty, 1b. 3 0 0 0 0 9 0 0

Doyle, p. 4 0 1 1 0 1 3 0

Lyons, c. f. 4 1 1 1 0 0 0 0

McKeever, c. 3 0 0 0 0 5 1 0

Totals, 31 1 4 4 0 27 15 3

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 1 0 2 0 0 0 3 1 0-7

Lovell's, 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0-1

Earned runs, Harvard 2. Two base hits, Dean. Hovey. Three base hit, Dickinson. Stolen bases, Dean (2), Hallowell, Trafford, Lyons. First base on balls, Dean, Hallowell (2), Connor, O'Brien, Laverty, McKeever. First, base on errors, Harvard 1, Lovell's 4. Left on bases, Harvard 5, Lovell's 8. Struck out, Alward, Rudderdam, Fitz (2), O'Brien, Laverty, Doyle, McKeever. Double play, Rudderham, Gardner and Laverty. Wild pitch, Bates. Hit by pitched ball, Connor. Time, 1 h. 45 m. Umpires, Ryan and Cary of Boston.