Vespers.

Rev. Dr. Everett spoke at vespers yesterday on the text "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." He said: We are not to infer from this that Jesus was a pessimist. On the contrary He had faith that conquered the world. Christ means simply not to look ahead and dread what is to come. A man thinks for instance that he can't spare a very dear friend. Yet when that friend is taken away he finds himself able to bear the loss, for there are resources in us unknown, and, in such trying circumstances, these come to our aid. Most people dread death, yet at the last moment they are generally willing to meet it. We come to a difficulty in life and at the same time we acquire the energy to overcome it. Like a stream which, when wending along, meets a seemingly impassable barrier, summons all its force and pushes its way through. As we look forward in life we fail to recognize the resources of God, the resources of the world, and our own resources. We should however trust to these and not dread what the future has in store for us.

The choir sang the following anthems: "They Shall Hunger no More." - Dykes.

'Sing Ye Praise," from the Hymn of Praise, and "Watchman. What of the Night." - Sullivan. The soloist was George J. Parker of Boston.