Letters of Dante, Translated.

The translation of "Eleven Letters of Dante," which won for Mr. C. S. Latham '88, the prize of the Dante Society in 1890, has been published by Houghton, Mifflin & Co. The work is edited by Mr. Latham's friend, Mr. G. R. Carpenter 86, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Professor Charles Eliot Norton, in a simple description of the circumstances under which the translation was produced, has furnished an affecting preface to the volume. Mr. Latham's affliction, his long confinement, his labors, his hopeful struggle against almost overwhelming misfortunes and finally his death before he learned of the unanimous decision of the judges to award the prize to him: - these details form a story of unusual interest in the history of the college life.

Beyond the mere translation, Mr. Latham has given a mass of notes and comments on the letters and allusions which is clear and comprehensive, showing a vast amount of deep research. It forms in reality a treatise on Italian life of the 13th and 14th centuries.

[Dante's Eleven Letters, Translated by C. S. Latham. 1891, Houghton, Mifflin & Co.]