Meeting at Sanders Theatre.

The meeting at Sanders Theatre last evening, was well attended, and though of course the greater number were first year men, yet many upper class men listened to the speakers of the evening with pleasure and profit.

Professor Shaler, Dean of Scientific School presided, and introduced as the first speaker, President Eliot.

President Eliot was warmly applauded and his delivery and remarks both made a most favorable reception.

After showing how much it meant to be a member of such a society of cultivated, refined men as Harvard College, he said, "Harvard College stands for many things in common with other colleges, but it also stands for one thing peculiar to itself, liberty; religious and political liberty, liberty in the choice of your studies, and finally liberty in the conduct of your lives. College life naturally divides itself into three parts, physical, intellectual and moral; yet really the individual is one and is not to be separated. We have noticed for many years that no immoral athlete is trustworthy, and the same proves true in after years, of a man intellectual but immoral. Though perhaps only two per cent. will ever make noted athletes. You can all develop strong, robust bodies. You can strengthen your wills and characters, and in the many opportunities this university affords you can all use your natural talents and gifts. Nor is there need that your lives should be selfish; each can help his fellows. Stimulate their enthusiasm; purify, uplift, enoble. Live for the future; remember that in a few years you will be called upon to assume great responsibilities. Live so that in a few years you will be fit for the society of a pure, noble, refined woman. You will not go far astray in any field if you follow this advice."

Professor Francis G. Peabody next spoke on the religious side of college life. He gave a humorous description of compulsory prayers and explained at some length the present system. He strongly urged all to uphold voluntary prayers. He closed his remarks with the story of the student, who being warned that Harvard was irreligious, replied that he wouldn't be harmed, since he never attended chapel.

Professor James Mills Pierce followed with a short address to the members of the graduate department. He said that it was started twenty years ago, but for one-half of that time it had been badly hampered; that it was only within the first six years that it had been able to place graduates of other universities on a proper standing; and that only within the last three had it appeared in the catalogue as a great branch of the university.

Professor Briggs' remarks were characteristically modest. Lack of space prevents anything further than his brief directions. 1. Trust the office. 2. Come to the Dean and tell him if you are being treated unfairly. 3. Call during office hours or on Tuesday evenings at the Dean's house. 4. Read the regulations; and last of all remember that the office is your best friend, but "The man should seek the office, not the office the man."

Professor Shaler closed the meeting with a few remarks on the rapid growth of the Lawrence Scientific School. Though it numbers at present but 150, this he said is ten times what it was a few years ago. As a last word he reminded the students that the faculty were all their friends and through him extended their blessing.