Petition of the Ereshman Musical Clubs.

In consideration of the recent action of the Faculty abolishing freshman and sophomore theatrical and musical performances, the officers of the 'Varsity Musical Clubs presented the following petiton to the faculty at its meeting on Tuesday.

In view of the fact that the Freshman Musical Clubs aid greatly, by their concerts, in supporting the freshman crew, develop material for the 'Varsity Musical Clubs, and promote social intercourse among the members of the freshman class, we, the undersigned, the officers of the 'Varsity Musical Clubs, petition the Faculty to withdraw its prohibitory decision in regard to the Freshman Musical Clubs.

If the Faculty does not see fit to repeal its decision unconditionally, we request that the Freshman Musical Clubs may be allowed to give concerts in the following places. Cambridge, Brookline, and Jamaica Plain.

Our reasons for petioning that the Freshman Musical Clubs be allowed to give concerts in Brookline and Jamaica Plain are as follows:

1. From past experience it has been found that not more than one concert can be given in Cambridge with financial success.

2. Past experience has shown that the prospects of giving one concert only, does not arouse sufficient interest among the candidates for the Musical Clubs to stimulate to the work necessary in preparation.

3. We name Brookline and Jamaica Plain as desirable towns, not only because we believe that concerts given in those places are successful financially, but also because we think that the auspices under which concerts are given in those towns are of the best influence socially.

Signed by the officers of the 'Varsity Musical Clubs.

In answer to this petition, the Faculty voted to omit the words "or musical" from the vote passed Dec. 6. The rule now reads, "Voted, that the committee on entertainments be instructed to refuse application for leave to give public theatrical performances by organizations composed mainly of sophomores or freshmen.

At a request of the committee on entertainments the Faculty also voted that not more than three concerts shall be given during the year by the Freshman Musical Clubs.

The above action speaks for itself, and it is needless to say that all the freshman clubs, that have suffered temporarlly by the first action of the Faculty, will begin again with renewed interest after the holidays. All who care anything for the musical clubs in college, will welcomes this reconsideration by the Faculty.