Prof. Harper on the University of Chicago.

The work on the two pioneer buildings of the University of Chicago, the dormitory and recitation hall, is being rapidly pushed to make ready for the opening in next October. The number of applications from intending students has been increased to over a thousand.

Prof. Harper speaking of the financial condition of the University says that more than four million dollars have already been received and at least a million more promised by people who, for the present, do not wish to have their names published.

Mr. Rockefeller, who was the first to come to the front in giving endowments and who has, in all, contributed about three millions has made the singular provision that the interest from all his donations shall be used only in payment of salaries of professors. This accounts for the high salaries that are offered and the ease with which prominent men from other colleges are induced to change the field of their work. The head professor will receive $7,000 a year. As to denominational tendencies, Mr. Harper says that the university will be run upon broad principles, being no more a distinctively Baptist college, as has been stated, than Yale is a Congregational college.