Professor Thayer's Address.

Professor J. H. Thayer addressed the Religious Union last evening in Holden Chapel on the subject "The Student's Sunday."

There are three claims, Mr. Thayer said, which Sunday has upon the upper or educated class of men, to which every student in this University belongs. The first in importance is the claim Sunday exercises with regard to our relations with the laboring class of men. They have a right to their rest on this one day in the week, a hard and well earned right, and it is our duty to show them that we, the educated men, have a reverence for this day of rest, and to show them by our example the beneficial work Christianity is doing for men in allowing them one day on which to cease from all the labor of the week.

The next claim upon us is the duty we owe to the church. Sunday is the foundation, the keystone of the church, and were this to be broken down, the church would not long outlive it. No matter what sect or denomination we belong to, we must all unite in pronouncing Christianity a wonderful benefactor to mankind, and essential to society. The church and school-house are the symbols of our American civilization.

The third but hardly less important claim is the one exercised upon us as individuals, as students. To the workingman Sunday is always a different day

(Continued on third page).