CHESS TOURNAMENT.

The Object of the Tournament and Rules Governing it.

The open chess tournament, held annually in October and November by the Harvard Chess Club, will begin October 15, 1895. The first two players in the final round will be the Harvard representatives in the Christmas quadrangular college tournament at New York. The tournament is open to all members of the University whether or not members of the Harvard Chess Club, who shall sign the blue book at Bartlett's drug-store and pay the entrancefee of fifty cents. The names must all be in at 6 p. m. sharp, Friday, October 11.

The men will then be assigned by lot to sections as nearly as possible of six each. Each man will thus have five competitors in this the first round. The first two players in each section will go up into the second round. The games of the first round must be finished by a date as yet undetermined but at least within a period of ten days.

The players in the second round will be split into two sections, unless the number of original competitors greatly exceeds that in years past, and the first two men in each section will go up into the third or final round. It is probable that most of these second-round players will have many chances to play on the team matches with other clubs.

The first two players in the final round will play successively the champion of the club (in the present year, Harold Lewis '96), for the championship. But if the present champion beat the first player in the tournament, he need not play with the second player in the tournament, and may enter the intercollegiate tournament at New York.

The entrance money will be either devoted toward defraying the expenses of the intercollegiate tournament or awarded in suitable prizes to the winners of the tournament, as the club may decide.

The object of the tournament is, of course, primarily, to determine the players at New York. And that the cup which was won last year may stay with us, it is imperative that the strongest chess material in the university shall appear. But, of hardly slighter importance, is the prospect of the immediate years to follow. That the cup should come to stay for all time might be the outcome of these two years, '95 and '96, if our best players would work their hardest. And, too, our lot with the city clubs, the Boston Chess Club, the Boston Press Club, and any other that may be found, is not to be disregarded. It is not only the very strongest players that are of value against the city clubs: anyone that plays a fair game (and these cannot be few in so large a University), is a good man for the chess team. Our last score of six to six with the Boston Chess Club must be made again and bettered.

All chess players in the University are therefore urged earnestly to enter.

J W. PECK '96, Chairman. C. H. DUNN'96. E, E. SOUTHARD'97. Tournament Committee.