University Calendar.

8. FRIDAY.

Appleton Chapel, 7.30 p.m. Rev. W. R. Huntington, D. D., of New York City. (The front pews are reserved for members of the University until 7.30.)

Week-day morning prayers at 8.45 a.m. No seats will be assigned, either for officers or classes.

Dr. McKenzie will conduct prayers from January 3 until January 26.

Dr. McKenzie will be at Wadsworth House 1 every week-day from 9-10.

9. MONDAY.Harvard Philosophical Club. Ethics and Culture. Address by Professor Felix Adler of New York. Sanders Theatre, 8 p.m.

Admission by ticket, or without ticket after 7.55.

10. TUESDAY.Applications from Graduate Students for admission to examination for any degree should be made before this date.

Law Faculty. Meeting at University 5, at 4 p.m.

Harvard's Contributions to Astronomy. Lecture. Professor E. C. Pickering. Divinity School Chapel, 7.30 p.m.

The public is invited.

Harvard Union Debate. Sever 11, 7.30 p.m.

Subject: "Resolved, That the general policy outlined in President Cleveland's message should be adopted by Congress."

Principal Disputants. Affirmative: Eliot Norton, L. S; Russell Duane, '88.- Negative: E. T. Sanford, '88; C. Hudson, L. S.

11. WEDNESDAY.Board of Overseers. Stated meeting at No. 50 State St., Boston, at 11 a.m.

English 6. Oral Debate. University 16, 3 p.m.

Sublect: "Resolved, That the agitation for an eight-hour working day promotes the best interests of the laboring classes."

Principal Disputants. Affirmative: Mr. J. A. Bailey and Mr. E. L. Blossom.- Negative: Mr. B. W. Palmer and Mr. F. D. Peale.- Open to all students of the University.

Divinity School Chapel. Conference. 4 p.m.

12. THURSDAY.Vesper Service. Appleton Chapel, 5 p.m.

Vesper services will be held on Thursday of each week in term-time until further notice. Each service will begin promptly at 5 p.m. and close at 5.30. The public are invited to these services. The front pews are reserved for members of the University and friends accompanying them.

The Uses and Limitations of Shorthand for College Students.

Lecture. Mr. E. H. Babbitt. Sever 11, 7.30 p.m.

13. FRIDAY.Divinity School Chapel. Service with preaching, 7.30 p.m.

DIVINTY SCHOOL CHAPEL LECTURES.A course of six lectures will be given in the Divinity School Chapel by persons connected with the University, but not teachers of the school. The lecture will be given every other Tuesday at 7.30 p.m. as follows:-

Jan. 10.- "Harvard's Contributions to Astronomy." Professor E. C. Pickering of the Observatory.

Jan. 24.- "The Relation of Law to the Supernatural." Professor J. B. Thayer of the Law School.

Feb. 7.- "Some conditions of Intellectual Life in America." Professor C. E. Norton of the college.

Feb. 21.- "The Health of Professional Men." Professor Francis Minot of the Medical School.

March 6.- "Ministers as seen by a Layman." Henry Lee, A. M., of the Board of Overseers.

March 20.- "Intimations of Immortality in the Sonnets of Shakespeare." Professor G. H. Palmer of the College.

MID-YEAR EXAMINATIONS.The mid-year examinations begin on Friday, January 27, and end on Saturday, February 11.

ENGLISH B.A lecture on Criticism will be given in Sever 11 on Tuesday, January 10, at 2 o'clock. After the lecture, Theme IV, will be returned to Cook-Harrison.

Theme VI will be due on January 10. Subject: A Narrative. It must be deposited in the wooden box in Sever 3 before 4 o'clock.

Theme VII. will be due on January 24. Subject: A Literary Criticism.

Theme VIII. will be due on February 21. Subject: A Literary Criticism.

The attention of students is specially called to the directions of the English Composition card. Each student is held responsible for a knowledge of those directions, and is expected to follow them implicitly.

By the regulations, no overdue theme will be accepted, unless the writer satisfies the secretary that his failure to present it at the time was caused by serious illness or other unavoidable hindrance. Overdue themes, countersigned by the secretary, may be left at Grays 18. In no case must themes be put in the box in Sever 3 after the day on which they are due.