Technology Students' Work.

Ninety students of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, working in shifts of thirty each, helped to test the new 21,000,000-gallon pump at the Chestnut Hill pumping station Wednesday. The first crew went on at eight o'clock in the morning and stayed until five in the afternoon; then they were relieved by a crew which stayed until after midnight, when the last shift went on until morning. Most of them were stationed in the engine room, where every part of the engine and boilers was thoroughly tested. Readings were taken from all the gauges every fifteen minutes, indicator cards being taken at the same time from all the cylinders, both water and steam. Students were also stationed at the weir house on Fisher Hill, and at the piezometer houses between the two reservoirs, where the pressure of the water flowing in the pipes was measured. The pump apparently worked perfectly, and the test will be one of great value. The test was under the auspices of Professor Miller of the institute, Engineer Dexter Bracket and W. D. Sandow.