Appointments at Bryn Mawr.

The trustees of Bryn Mawr College have made several new appointments to the Faculty, among them those of Dr. Mortimer Lamson Earle, as Associate Professor of Greek and Latin, Mr. Paul Elmer More as Associate in Sanskrit and Classical Literature, Mr. Robert Norton as Lecturer in Archaeology, Dr. Florence Bascom as Reader in Geology, and Dr. Alfred Hodder as Lecturer in English Literature. Dr. Bascom is the only woman that has received the degree of Ph. D. from Johns Hopkins, and for the last two years has been instructor in Geology at the State University of Ohio. Her appointment means that next year, for the first time, Bryn Mawr will offer courses in geology. Mr. More received the degree of A.M. at Harvard, where he is Assistant in Indo-Iranian, and he has also studied in Paris. Dr. Hodder also has studied both at Harvard and in Paris.

Mr. Norton, a son of Professor Charles Norton, was a member of the class of '88, at Harvard, and for the last three years has been studying at the American School in Athens and at the University of Cambridge. At Bryn Mawr Mr. Norton will offer courses in classical and in early Italian art, and the Trustees have appropriated a sum for the purchase of photographs for use in connection with these courses. Dr. Earle received the degree of B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. from Columbia, and continued his classical studies at the American School in Athens and at Berlin. In 1887 and in 1891 Dr. Earle was in charge of the excavations at Sicyon. Macmillan & Co. have recently published for Dr. Earle an edition of the Alcestic of Euripides, which has been receiving very favorable notice. Through Houghton, Mifflin & Co., Mr. More has published recently, in the form of a series of letters an account of Buddha's philosophy called "The Great Refusal."