MEMORIAL SERVICE.

Professor Norton Eulogizes Ex=Governor William E. Russell.

Last evening in Sanders Theatre a service was held under the auspices of the Cambridge city government in memory of the late ex-Governor William E. Russell. After the prayer by Bishop Lawrence and selections by a double male quartette, Mayor Bancroft presented as the speaker of the evening Professor Charles Eliot Norton.

Professor Norton in sketching the political career of Governor Russell, said that while born and bred a Democrat, he believed that principle should always come before party. Embodying in its most advanced form the "Cambridge idea," he began by ridding the city government of the unclean element with which it had become associated. His excellent administration of the affairs of the city drew attention to him throughout the state. The Democracy, risen from the lethargy in which it had lain for years, now found in him the sterling leader whom it needed.

In his first two campaigns for the governorship he was defeated, the second time by a small margin. In 1890 his faithful work and high personal character brought him the success he so well deserved. Few men in public life have ever received so high an expression of personal regard as that which now fell to Governor Russell's lot. Every other officer in the state government, with one unimportant exception, was a member of the opposing party. Governor Russell won because of his personal integrity and devotion to the highest interests of the state. Standing alone in this difficult position, he, by his tact and high character, made friends of his political opponents. In his speeches he spoke not as an orator in the accepted sense of the word, but he showed a command of persuasive and sincere speech, speaking as a man of good sense and strong convictions in a pleasant, manly way. He treated great national questions in a thoroughly intelligent and statesmanlike way. When he laid down his office he felt assured of a stronger hold upon the people of the commonwealth than when he assumed his duties. One of the newspapers most bitterly opposed to him said: "The name of William E. Russell is a platform in itself."

Going from political life to business activities, he did not give up his interest in public affairs. He was always ready to respond to the call of duty. Always a lover of his party, he saw with apprehension the direction which affairs were taking in that party. His warnings were not heeded, and he last raised his voice in protest against the action of the party which he had loved and served so well. Never did he stand before the people in such a light of clear statesmanship as at this time. Then, while the country was admiring the man, and seeming about to bestow further honor upon him, his sudden death blighted the promise of so young a life.

While we lament his untimely death, we can but say that death came to him in a fair hour. His memory will remain as that of the youthful patriot in time of peace, inspired throughout his life by the voice of duty.