LAWRENCE SCIENTIFIC SCHOOL.

Many Recent Improvements and Plans for the Future.

The great increase of the number of students at the Lawrence Scientific School has called attention to the many improvements which have been introduced during the last few years, under the management of Professor Shaler and Mr. Chamberlain.

Among the more important improvements of the past, are the enlargement of the old Scientific School Building to give room for an electrical laboratory, and the fitting up of the old Hasty Pudding Club building for the Architectural Department and of the old gymnasium for the Engineering Department. In the latter building $20,000 worth of apparatus has been set up.

Though these additions have much bettered the accomodations which existed before, there is, however, an immediate demand for still further enlargement. No definite plans have been made, on account of lack of ready funds, but the governing board of the school already has in mind the erection of two new buildings, which it is hoped will soon be obtained. One is to be an Architectural building; the other for the Engineering Department, mechanical and electrical.

The building for architecture will contain lecture rooms, and, what is especially needed, large and well lighted drafting rooms. The engineering building will have first of all ample electrical and mechanical workshops. This is an important need, as students are still obliged to use the workshops of the Cambridge Manual Training School. The new building will also contain lecture rooms and drafting rooms.

In the meantime the authorities are taking practical steps toward improvement of the courses and of the methods of instruction. A number of conferences have recently taken place at the School, to obtain reliable advice upon the subject.

Some two weeks ago Professor Shaler had as his guests a considerable number of prominent Boston architects. They visited the school and were afterwards entertained by Professor Shaler at his house. They were asked to give advice freely, and their suggestions will be followed out in the future management of the department.

About a week later another conference was held; this time with the principals of high schools about Boston and with the masters of the fitting schools. After a visit to the various departments and a luncheon in the library, the project of increasing the already rigorous requirements for admission was fully discussed. The masters expressed a willingness to meet the advanced requirements by instituting new preparatory courses, and the result will probably be a decided raising of the requirements for admission to the Scientific School.

Finally, only a few days ago, about fifty members of the Engineers' Club of Boston were entertained by President Eliot at his house, and were conducted about the school. They paid particular attention to the mechanical and electrical departments, and freely suggested improvements.

These conferences show clearly the vigorous policy of the management. Those in charge are not satisfied with the expansion of quarters already secured; with the progress already made in providing courses, and in strengthening the corps of instruction. The progress in this direction has been remarkable ever since Professors Shaler and Hollis, and Mr. Chamberlain have been in charge of affairs. But their purpose is, not to trust solely to their own judgment, but to call on practical men to point out practical methods of improvement and enlargement.