Proposed Quadrangular Freshman Race.

For some time past the question of a quadrangular freshman crew race has been in the air. In the daily papers of several of the colleges long articles have appeared discussing this question of a boat race between the freshman crews of Harvard, Pennsylvania, Cornell, and Columbia, to be rowed in June, about the time of the quadrangular university race.

There has as yet been no meeting of representatives of these colleges, and no plans have been settled upon as far as Harvard is concerned, but there have been several official opinions from rowing men of the other colleges; and the chairman of the Pennsylvania Rowing Committee a short time since issued the following statement concerning Pennsylvania's position:

"The attitude of Columbia, Cornell and Harvard is that they will probably join in a race of crews composed of "College Freshmen," at or about the time of the University race. They are desirous that Pennsylvania should enter a crew for such a race, but they are all firmly of the opinion that "College Freshmen" only shall row. Under this state of affairs, the question which will come before the University Athletic Committee seems to be whether Pennsylvania shall enter a crew of "College Freshmen," or in all probability have no freshman race whatever."

The following from the Columbia Spectator seems to explain Columbia's attitude in the matter:

"Columbia might very likely be glad to make her freshman race a quadrangular affair. Pennsylvania would have to make some alterations, however, in the way she draws her men for the freshman crew. At Columbia we draw our candidates entirely from the freshman classes in the Schools of Arts and Mines. At Pennsylvania we understand they are taken from the first classes of all the different departments, graduate or undergraduate. It would be manifestly unfair to race crews, drawn in such a different way that it would give one college almost three times as many men to draw from as the other."