Astronomical Observatory.

In addition to the varied kinds of work which are regularly carried on at the Observatory, and about which most of us know so little, a good deal of attention has very lately been paid to the new comet. Although a large number of reports in regard to its probable course have appeared in the newspapers, few of them have any foundation. Its orbit is a very interesting mathematical puzzle. The observations taken here are now being worked upon and the results will be made known in a few days. The comet is almost directly overhead and can be seen with a field glass.

The work on the new fireproof building to be used for storing photographic negatives and for the library, is progressing rapidly.

On the western side of the observatory grounds, the foundations for the new Bruce photographic telescope are being laid.

It will be remembered that this telescope which is to have a twenty-four inch object glass, is to be the largest photographic telescope in the world. It is expected that with it photographs of stars can be taken which the eye could discover only through a telescope with a forty-five inch object glass. By the aid of this telescope the most important part of the work of the observatory will be done. For several years it will be mounted here, after which it will probably be permanently located at the station in South America. At this station owing to its height and the great clearness of the air, the conditions for observations are especially favorable. The observations only will be taken there while the working up of the results will still be done here. The publications of these results will also be made from the Cambridge Observatory.