HARVARD, 10; WILLIAMS, 9.

Harvard Narrowly Escapes Defeat by Timely Hits.

Harvard won yesterday's game because T. Stevenson played his best even when he seemed really out in the eighth inning. With one out, the score 9 to 8 in favor of Williams, and Paine on third, Stevenson knocked an easy grounder to Ashton. The Williams man came running up to the line to tag Stevenson, who made a desperate dive for first base. In the collision the ball shot out of Ashton's hand and rolled over to the bleachers. Paine came in, tieing the score. Then Pote hit to center field, and Stevenson, by scoring on the play, won the game for Harvard.

Before the eighth inning the game was, however, won and then again lost. In the first, after Ashton had been hit, Dewey got to first on Dean's error. Street hit to Haughton, who caught off Ashton at third. Lewis hit for three bases, scoring Dewey and Street, and himself coming in on Goodrich's single.

Harvard scored two runs on successive hits by Scannell, Burgess and Clarkson. There was no more scoring then until the fifth when Ashton's single followed by Dean's error of Dewey's grounder and Street's three base hit gave Williams two more runs.

In the sixth Burgess was hit, stole second and scored on Clarkson's single to left field. Clarkson stole second and reached home when Street fumbled R. Stevenson's grounder. After Haughton flied out, Paine hit for three bases, scoring Stevenson. Then T. Stevenson was hit, Pote flied out, and Dean's single scored Paine and T. Stevenson, making the score 7 to 5 in favor of Harvard.

Williams did not score until the eighth when Haughton weakened, giving four bases on balls, a single and a double, which netted Williams four runs. Harvard then won the game as related above.

For Harvard Burgess did some very active work in the field. Haughton pitched a good game except in the eighth inning and led the team at the bat with three hits. Paine made two three-base hits which counted for runs each time. Scannell and Clarkson also made two hits each.

Chandler started the game in left field, but was hit on the head by a high fly early in the first inning which knocked him insensible. Clarkson took his place. Pote, who was tried at shortstop, made one error out of three chances and did not do so well at the bat as in Monday's game.

For Williams, Dewey played the best game in the field, getting five put-outs to his credit, among them being two difficult running catches. Street and Lewis were strongest at the bat. Lewis was not so effective in the box as he was expected to be. His fielding, however, was excellent.

The cheering, which was effectively led by A. Borden '96, did much to encourage the Harvard players. It was more hearty and helpful than ever before this year, especially when the team was behind.

The score:

HARVARD.

a.b. r. b.h. p.o. a. e.

Dean, 2b. 4 0 1 4 7 3

Scannell, c. 4 1 2 5 2 1

Burgess, r. f. 3 2 1 1 0 0

Chandler, Clarkson, l. f., 4 1 2 2 1 0

R. Stevenson, 3b. 4 1 0 2 0 0

Haughton, p. 4 1 3 0 2 0

Paine, c. f. 4 2 2 2 1 0

T. Stevenson, 1b. 3 2 0 11 0 0

Pote, c. 4 0 0 0 2 1

Totals, 34 10 11 27 15 5

WILLIAMS.

a.b. r. b.h. p.o. a. e.

Ashton, 2b. 2 1 1 2 2 1

Dewey, c. f. 4 2 1 5 0 0

Street, s. s. 5 1 1 1 1 1

Lewis, p. 4 2 1 2 5 0

Heffernan, r. f. 4 1 0 1 0 0

Goodrich, lb. 4 0 1 6 2 0

Doughty, l. f. 4 1 1 1 0 0

Drysdale, 3b. 4 1 1 2 0 0

Ross, c. 3 0 1 4 2 1

Totals, 34 9 8 24 12 3

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 2 0 0 0 0 5 0 3-10

Williams, 3 0 0 0 2 0 0 4 0-9

Earned runs-Harvard 3, Williams 2. Three-base hits-Paine 2, Street, Lewis. Two-base hits-Scannell, Haughton, Drysdale. Stolen bases-Scannell 2, Burgess 2, Dean, Clarkson, R, Stevenson, T. Stevenson, Goodrich, Doughty, Drysdle, Ashton. First base on balls-Dean, Ross, Ashton 2, Lewis, Heffernan, Dewey. Hit by pitched ball-Burgess, T. Stevenson, Ashton. Passed balls-Ross 2. Struck out-Paine, T. Stevenson, Burgess, Heffernan, Drysdale, Ross 2, Doughty. Double plays-Lewis and Goodrich, Pote, Dean and T. Stevenson. Umpire-Murray. Time-2.10.