CREW NEWS.

The 'Varsity Shows Improvement.- A Criticism of the Men.

It is a week today since the crews went to Poughkeepsie where they are now situated in beautiful quarters on the west bank of the Hudson, about half a mile above the start of the four-mile course over which the races are to be rowed. During the week examinations have been conducted almost daily under the supervision of Dr. A. C. Coolidge.

The work of both the 'Varsity and Freshman crews consists in two regular rows, in which Mr. Mumford coaches in person, and throughout the day pair-oar work under the joint supervision of Mr. Mumford and Captain Bullard is done. Particular points may be explained in this fashion to better satisfaction. The two pair shells are without coxswain's seats, and the bow man does the steering. The afternoon rows are always the harder, and bed time comes at 9.30 o'clock.

Both crews are in excellent condition with the exception of Boardman of the freshman.

The 'Varsity Crew has undoubtedly improved, both as a whole and individually, since its arrival here. Especial attention has been paid to two things: First, getting the oars into the water immediately at the full reach, and, second, slowing the slide while going out on the recover. The first is a fault which has been common to all Harvard crews of late. It is a hard task to overcome a tendency which has become so firmly rooted, but the men are making every effort, and Coach Mumford is helping them as best he can. The second fault, that of rushing the slides, is an easier one to overcome, and has been nearly mastered since leaving Cambridge.

The boat travels well when the men are at their best. The trouble is that some port man always spoils a good stretch by hitting the water on the recover after 50 or 100 strokes, causing the boat to roll, and spoiling the beat so sought for.

The position of the men remains the same, and is of course definitely settled.

Goodrich has improved more than any one else since leaving the Charles. He is apt to be not quite supple enough in his motions. He has the habit of rushing a little and is always too anxious to do more than his share of the work. This tires him and he does not stay fresh as long as the others, and consequently loses his command of the crew.

Bullard at 7 is doing better also. He has got now so that he helps stroke out on slowing the slides and beside sends the beat back with more paecision than he did. His oar is improving and he now covers it fairly well at the beginning.

Sprague does not show much change from day to day; he is very steady in his rowing. His legs do not go down with quite enough spring for so powerful a man, and he shortens his stroke in the water once in a while.

Fennessy, at 5, is improving daily. He was out of the boat last week for a couple of days with a small boil on the back of head, but is all right again.

Hollister is the only member of the crew who has not improved. He has become very sluggish in his motions, especially at the beginning of the recover, and he thus breaks up the time badly.

Perkins has improved, as his hard, conscientious work would warrant. His form is very much better than at any time before this year. He is not a graceful oar, however, and his long back makes him rather labored in his movements.

Townsend, at 2, is rowing in just the same form as when he left Cambridge last week. He should improve more than he does, nevertheless, and he rows as if his mind was not on his work as much as it should be.

Derby, rowing bow, is a very effective oarsman, and, with the exception of his old fault of finishing with his shoulders up in the air, rows very well.

Only one time row was taken last week, but the time was said to be very much better than the time made by Pennsylvania under nearly the same conditions.

The Freshman Crew has suffered considerably this week from the loss of Boardman at stroke. He got a chill last Monday night and had to remain in bed until Thursday afternoon. Marvin has been taking his place, but has shortened the men up considerably, and they consequently have not quite such a long, driving sweep as when they first rowed on the Hudson.

The Freshmen have their beds in the loft of the roomy stable, but are nevertheless very comfortably quartered.

The boathouse, which was only just long enough for the shells, has been lengthened. The climb from the boathouse to the quarters is a hard one, but it is doing the men good. Captain Bullard insists that it shall be done at a brisk pace, and the wind of the 'Varsity is improving daily.