FORUM-P. U. DEBATE.

Good Speech by McMaster, of Prospect Union.- No Decison.

The debate between the Prospect Union and a team from the Harvard Forum was held last evening in the Prospect Union Hall. The question for debate was: "Resolved, That the present method of election of United States Senators is preferable to election by popular vote." The Forum supported the affirmative. President Ely of the Prospect Union presided.

In general the debate was a success. The Prospect Union speakers, especially the first speaker, E. A. McMaster, spoke very well in view of their limited debating experience. The Harvard team represented about the average strength of a 'Varsity debating club.

As no decision was rendered, it is impossible to tell which side presented the stronger case. On the whole the Forum's chief advantages were in the form of her speakers and in their presentation of a consistent comprehensive line of argument; on the other hand, their rebuttal work was unexpectedly weak. The Prospect Union men made more attempt at direct rebuttal and their first man was the best of the evening in this respect. In form, they were all rather crude but they were distinctly ready speakers. In the matter of argument they differed in a marked degree. The first speaker was as logical in presentation and as well-informed on the question as any man on either side; but the other two men expended their time too much in platitudes and appeals on the question of election by the people.

The Forum men spoke in the following order: E. M. Gregory '97, F. C. Gratwick '97, W. B. Truesdell '97. Gregory was good in form but rather too general in his argument. He made one or two contradictions which left an opening for the negative. Gratwick had good form and made an effective speech. His chief fault was in neglecting to rebutt the argument of the speaker before him. Truesdell showed careful preparation and made some telling points; he lost greatly in effectiveness, however, by a strained, unnatural delivery.

The speakers for the Prospect Union were E. A. McMaster, J. W. H. Williams and G. A. McKinnon. As has already been said, McMaster was by far the best of the three. This argument was very logical and effective. The other two men were pleasant speakers but staked their case too much on appeals to popular prejudice.

Truesdell and McMaster gave the rebuttal speeches for their respective sides. McMaster strengthened the good impression made by his first speech.