THE WELD CREWS.

An Individual and General Criticism of Their Work.

The Weld crews have been training for two months, and since getting on the river have improved rapidly. The work has been carried on regularly, and, in consideration of the difficulties to be overcome, the results bid fair to do much credit, both to the coaches and to the men rowing.

The crews are all, at their own expense, eating at training tables.

The coaches have criticized the crews as follows:

The '97-Graduate crew has been in its shell only a few times, and in consequence has not yet got shaken well together. The men row a short stroke with a hard finish and keep the boat on its keel fairly well. The stroke, however, must be lengthened out if the crew is to make a good showing in the race.

Gregg, who is stroking the crew, clips and does not bevel his oar enough.

Valentine, 7, is slow in getting his power on at the catch. Bancroft, 6, kicks out his slide. James, 5, settles at the finish and meets his oars. Nichols (captain), 4, slow on recover and tends to meet his oar. Morrill, 3, rolls his head. Stafford, 2, does not get enough body reach and is slow on the recovery. Knoblauch, bow, hangs at full reach and tends to clip.

The '98 crew's body work is still ragged and the boat is more or less unsteady. They are rowing more a snappy and a shorter stroke than they were before last week's shake up. The boat moves well between strokes. Their catch is firm and hard, but the finish lacks this firmness.

Dobyns, at stroke, is ragged in his blade work and fails to keep the stroke as long as it should be, but rows a snappy oar and sets a good place. Dubois, 7, lacks life on the catch and tends to carry the feather too far. Millard, 6, tends to meet his oar at the finish of the stroke. Wood, 5, settles at the finish and tends to drop over at the full reach. McBurney (captain) 4, rolls his head, but rows long and smoothly. Butler, 3, rows around his oar and his time is poor. Richards, 2, is very short on body reach and slow on the recover. Robinson, bow, forgets to bevel his oar sufficiently and tends to clip.

Although the '99 crew has lost two of its regular men, it is showing up well. The catch needs livening up, as does the beginning of the recover. The blade work is a bit ragged and there is a tendency to bury the oars too deep. The power when once applied is well sustained to the finish of the stroke. On the whole, barring further accidents, the crew should make a strong bid for a front place on race day. Conroy who has replaced Holden at stroke, tends to bury his oar too deep and is slow on the catch. Dinsmore, 7, has a tendency to clip and is weak on blade work. Davis (captain), 6, does not swing over the keel, rows around his oar, and rolls his head. Coleman, 5, buries his oar too deep. Stoddard, 5, is late in getting his leg drive on. His body work is good. Bigelow, 3, has a tendency to catch with his arms, hunches his shoulders and rows around his oar. Burnham, 2, tends to clip and carries his feather too far. Huntington, bow, blade work and time poor. Rows in with his arms.

The 1900 crew has a tendency to shorten on the body work, to be late in applying the power, and to lack life on the recover. The crew keep the boat on its keel in fairly good form and they are spacing well. With an improvement in time and snap the crew should make a creditable showing.

Durham, stroke, is short on his body reach. Kernan, 7, and Fitzgerald, 6, tend to clip. Pierce (captain) 5, does not feather his oar enough. Emery, 4, rushes his slide. Sherburne, 3, tends to row short and to clip, as does Morrill at 2. Bedford, at bow, lacks life and tends to shorten.