WELD WINS.

Victorious in Five Out of Seven Events in the Metropolitan Regatta.

The annual Metropolitan regatta, which was held on the Back Bay basin yesterday afternoon, resulted in an almost complete series of victories for the Weld Boat Club. Out of six events in which the Weld entered, they won five with comparative ease, demonstrating a superiority that was almost outclassing over their competitors, and bringing to a highly satisfactory close the most successful season of the club's existence.

The fine showing made is largely due to the efficient coaching of Donovan, the regular Weld coach, and to W. S. Youngman, L. S. The former especially is deserving of great credit for the consistency and excellence of his long term of coaching, which has resulted so splendidly.

The races began at 3.45 after a considerable delay. The referee was M. L. Butler of the Bradford Boat Club; starter, G. Du Blois of the B. A. A.; J. G. Lathrop was timer. The conditions were almost perfect; an even tide was running out and a light wind blew down the course.

The first event was the novice single sculls which was won by C. Blaikie '99, ten lengths in 11m. 1s. The intermediate single sculls which followed was also won by Blaikie by half a length in 10m. 13s. The next event in which the Weld was represented was the junior fouroared shell. The Weld entries composed of G. Merrill, stroke; F. O. Hodges, W. D. Hennen, R. Burnham, won from the B. A. A. in 10m. 12s. In the last quarter-mile when six lengths behind, the B. A. A. crew ran into the wall and broke an oar, forcing a man to jump overboard.

The last two events of the afternoon, and about which all of the interest centred, were the races of the junior and senior eights.

At 4.45 the junior entries, composed of the Lynn Rowing Club, the Columbia Rowing Club and the Weld Boat Club faced the starter. At the work the Weld jumped quickly away, and in a few strokes were leading by a length. From here on they were never headed, and, rowing in excellent form, with plenty of reserve strength, they pulled steadily ahead and won by four lengths in the splendid time of 8 m. 7s. The crew as a whole did fine work, showing a marked improvement over the form shown by the Weld crews in the class races. They rowed an even and well-lengthened stroke with lots of life, and never were in need of spurting. The crew was made up as follows:

Age. W'ght. Height.

Str., Harding, 18 158 5 ft. 8 1-2

7. Dinsmore, 21 180 6 ft. 2

6. Millard, 20 156 6 ft. 3-4

5. Huntington, 20 163 6 ft.

4. Davis, 18 160 6 ft.

3. Bigelow, 20 160 6 ft. 1

2. Stoddard, 19 163 6 ft. 1

Bow, Robinson, 21 155 5 ft. 9

Coxswain, Clarke, 115

The last event of the day was the Senior eight race in which the starters were the Millstreams, B. A. A., and Weld Boat Club. This promised to be the event of the afternoon, as the crews were known to be very evenly matched, although the chances were thought to favor B. A. A.

All three crews got good starts, but in a few strokes the Weld was seen to be drawing ahead. The first half-mile was covered in remarkably fast time. At the bridge the Weld had gained considerably and were leading the Millstreams by a length of open water, the B. A. A. bringing up the rear three lengths behind. All the crews were rowing in fine form at this point, the Weld especially maintaining a long, even stroke at 38 and rowing in perfect union. This order was maintained until within a quarter of a mile from the finish, when the Millstreams spurted strongly and drew up quickly on the Weld. The Weld, however, answered readily with a similar spurt and crossed the line a winner by half a length of clear water in 7m. 57s. The time was within a second of the record for the course, but, owing to a mistake in placing the starting boats, the crews rowed more than twenty-five yards over the mile and a half, making a difference which would have easily broken the record.

The Weld crew rowed in the following order:

Age. W'ght. Heigh.

Stroke, Dobyns, 24 140 5 ft. 8 1-2

7. DuBois, 20 152 5 ft. 11 1-2

6. Blake, 20 156 6 ft.

5. Coleman, 19 178 5 ft. 11

4. Garrett, 20 159 5 ft. 9

3. Wood, 18 169 5 ft. 8 1-2

2. Bancroft, 18 166 6 ft. 2

Bow, Pierce, 19 163 6 ft.

Coxswain, Orton, 120