YALE'S CHALLENGE TO CORNELL.

NEW HAVEN, CONN., NOV. 24, 1897.

F. D. Colson, Captain of the Cornell University Crew:

DEAR SIR:- The Yale University Boat Club hereby challenges the Cornell University Boat Club to row a four mile, eight oared boat race at New London, Conn., the race to be rowed one week to ten days after our annual race with Harvard, next June. It would be agreeable to us to have you join our dual contest with Harvard and make it a triangular, if satisfactory to them.

(Signed)

PAYNE WHITNEY, Captain Yale University Crew."CORNELL'S ANSWER TO YALE.ITHACA, N. Y., January 11, 1898.

To Mr. Payne Whitney, Captain of the Yale University Crew:

DEAR SIR:- I am instructed to communicate to you the action of the athletic council regarding your proposition for a boat race. The Cornell navy accepts the proposition of the Yale University Boat Club for a four mile, eight oared race the coming season at the place and time named by Yale, provided Cornell be allowed in return to name the place and time of a similar race for next year. Cornell expresses furthermore her acceptance of Yale's suggestion to merge the race of this year, Harvard willing, in a triangular race with Harvard.

(Signed)

FREDERICK D. COLSON, Captain of the Cornell University Crew.