Ward Wins at Tennis.

H. Ward '00 won the fall tennis tournament yesterday afternoon, defeating J. A. Roche '03 in three interesting and closely-contested sets. The scores were, 8-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Ward won the match by steady, even playing and excellent judgment. Although Roche played a much more brilliant game and continually passed Ward by hard smashing, he was erratic, and lost the match from unsteadiness in returning Ward's strokes within the court. Both men played a close net game.

Ward found out early in the match that he was unable to pass Roche by straight return-strokes as the latter covered the court with ease, without using any back-hand strokes. To offset this difficulty, he pursued from the outset the policy of steady accurate lobbing, thus forcing Roche to smash. Most of his returns passed Ward along the side lines, but owing to the difficulty of playing a steady smashing game accurately, many of them went outside.

The championship match between H. Ward and E. R. Marvin will be played on Friday afternoon at 2.30.