WESLEYAN TODAY

Several Substitutes in the Line-up. Light Practice Yesterday.

At three o'clock this afternoon the eleven will play Wesleyan in the third game of the season. As the whole team, and especially the line, will be weakened by the absence of some of the regular players, a score by Wesleyan would not be unexpected. Fast work by the backs, however, together with careful attention to the principles of forming interference, which have lately been drilled into them by the coaches, should ensure touchdowns enough to eliminate all chances of defeat.

The line-up today will be: Harvard.  Wesleyan. Ristine, l.e.  r.e., Cornwall. Swain, l.t.  r.t., Montgomery. Boal, l.g.  r.g., Lufkin. Greene, c.  c., Filliman. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Brown. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Yarrow. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., S. Dodds. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., C. Dodds. Parker, Gierasch, l.h.  r.h., Hartzell. Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Wilcox. Warren, f.b.  f.b., Inglis.

Yesterday's practice lacked the usual dash and snap. This was due in part to the weather, but more particularly to the presence of several new men on the team. Baldwin, the Freshman quarterback, played the greater part of the one half of about ten minutes. He passed with a fair degree of accuracy, was effective as an interferer and keyed the eleven up to fast offensive football. Peyton, also, who completely outclassed Swain in Thursday's practice, was tried at right tackle on the first eleven in Lawrence's place. He is a valuable man on the defense and has an aggressive style of play. The success of Sawin at left half necessitated the playing of Warren at fullback. All these changes and the presence of a weak left end, degenerated the offensive play of the first eleven to such an extent that only one touchdown was scored. The soft ground and the slippery ball also aided the second eleven by breaking up the interference of the first and eliminating what has been the reliance for long runs.

For the second eleven, the back-field, considering its light weight, played a fast game. The punting of R. Lawrence, the rushing of Hurley, and the tackling of E. Motley, encouraged the team to meet the attacks of the first eleven. A. R. Sargent strengthened the line to a great extent by stopping several centre plays.

The preliminary work, which was the same as on Thursday, was held in the Carey building on account of the rain. For the rudimentary portion of the practice, the cage has ample space, and even permits low punting. Yesterday, however, Lewis and Burden continued the lessons in breaking through, which have formed in important part of the work of the last few days. Meanwhile, Coach Dibblee gave the backs some of the finer points of their positions in connection with starting and interfering.

Of the men whose injuries have been keeping them out of the practice lately, Eaton, Daly and Campbell will be back in the game on Monday. Although Reid will not be allowed to play for some time yet, the injury to his leg is not so serious as was first supposed. Hurley, whose brilliant rushing will be much missed by the second eleven, sprained his ankle in the last play yesterday. The players, on the whole, are, however, passing that period in training when they are susceptible to injuries, and should soon be able to play longer and harder halves, and then fit themselves for the Yale game.

The line up in yesterday's practice follows: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Hoxie, L. Motley, l.e.  r.e., Clay. Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Peyton, Talbot. Boal, l.g.  r.g., Hollingsworth. Greene, c.  c., Walsh, Carroll. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., A. R. Sargent. J. Lawrence, Peyton, r.t.  l.t., Spratt. Hallowell, r.e.,  l.e., Gray. Baldwin, Fincke, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley. Sawin, Parker, l.h.  r.h., Hurley Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Brayton, Fayerweather. Devens, Warren, f.b.  f.b., R. Lawrence.