Co-operative Society.

The regular annual meeting of the Co-operative Society was held in Upper Dane last evening. Professor Cummings, president of the society, presented the annual report, and commented on the state of the Society's business, which exceeded by $8,000 that of the previous year. A constitutional amendment was adopted, providing that in case the society should ever be dissolved, its "inalienable" capital, now amounting to over $25,000, should be turned over, to the Corporation as a fund, the income to be used "for the embellishment of the College precints, or otherwise at their discretion in such manner as to contribute to the amenity of student life."

Professor Cummings and W. E. Weaver 2L., were re-elected president and secretary, respectively. The three undergraduate vacancies on the Board of Directors were filled by the election of W. Phillips '00, J. R. Locke '01, and B. Wendell, Jr., '02. The other five members of the Board are: From the Faculty, Professor Taussig; Medical School, Professor Mallory; Law School, R. C. Davis 3L.; Graduate School, C. H. Ayres 2G.; University at large, J. M. Boutwell, Assistant in the Scientific School.

The past year was an important one in the affairs of the Co-operative. At the annual meeting a year ago, the Board of Directors was largely reorganized, and a more progressive policy has since been followed.

A detailed audit of the books for the preceding year ('97-'98) was made last year, the first of the kind since the organization of the society. The plan of paying the chief employees of the store a percentage on the net profits of the annual business proved unsatisfactory in practice, and has been abandoned for a system of straight salaries.

A new general superintendent of the society was put in charge on May 1, '99. During the summer vacation, the Medical School branch in Boston was transferred from the Medical School building to larger quarters across the street. Arrangements were made with the Corporation whereby a general renovation of the main store in Dane Hall was effected. The floor-space available as sales-room was doubled by removing two large unused chimneys from the first floor and by entirely remodelling the basement. This left the first floor clear for the office and the two important departments of books and stationery. The basement is occupied by the gentlemen's furnishing department, to which have been added departments of boots, shoes, hats and caps; these departments are in the immediate charge of Mr. Bestwick, formerly with A. Shuman & Co. Enlarged quarters for the tailoring department were secured in Lyceum Hall. The old arrangement for handling furniture, by piloting customers to different warerooms in Boston, seemed objectionable; and a furniture department with samples was this fall opened in Dane Hall. The number of affiliated dealers was nearly doubled. The board already feels a justification for these changes. From the opening of College this fall up to the first of November, this increase in sales over the corresponding period of last year aggregated upwards of ten thousand dollars