International Chess Trophy.

Arrangements for the control of the Rice trophy for international chess contests have recently been completed. By the terms of the gift a board of trustees, to control the cup, is to be elected biennially in October, from the alumni of each of the six universities concerned. The American universities, Harvard, Columbia, Princeton and Yale, are each to have one representative, elected by the several chess clubs. Oxford and Cambridge will each have two representatives. E. E. Southard 3M. has already been elected the trustee from Harvard. This board will receive the trophy and will determine where it shall be placed. The control of the matches will be in the hands of the club presidents. The teams will be made up of six or more players who must be natives of the country they represent, and bona fide students of not more than five years' standing.

It is further provided that if none of the universities already mentioned challenge the holder of the cup before Nov. 1 of any year, any other university may challenge. On the other hand, if the university that is challenged refuses to play, or fails to reply before Dec. 1, any other university chess club in that country may accept the challenge. After Dec. 15, however, a club may not be required to defend the cup for that year.