THE HARVARD UNION

Description of the Building Plans by Professor I. N. Hollis.

The preliminary plans of the Harvard Union have been prepared in accordance with the suggestions made by a committee which met at Major Higginson's some weeks ago. While these plans embody the ideas of many people interested in the success of the Union, they are subject to change and a description is thought to be of interest, particularly if the graduates and students are willing to write their own ideas for the benefit of the committee.

The building is to be, roughly speaking, 178 feet long, by 104 feet wide; covering thus over 17,000 square feet. It is probably to front on Harvard Street; having a convenient side-entrance on Quincy street.

The general design provides an entrance hall of large dimensions, with an assembly room capable of seating 1,000 people, directly opposite the entrance door. On each side of the entrance hall can be located offices and a coat-room. The assembly room constitutes the main feature of the central structure.

One wing of the building contains a billiard room, with sixteen billiard tables, on the first floor. The library, located on the second floor of the same wing, is divided by three partitions into a periodical room, a library for recent publications, and a library and writing room, presumably for the use of students taking notes. It has been suggested that the basement of this wing be divided up into offices for the Athletic Association, the CRIMSON, and other student bodies which require permanent offices. There has been some discussion as to the advisability of the CRIMSON occupying any part of the new building. This subject, no doubt, will be fully discussed when the time comes to publish the plans. The CRIMSON can probably not afford to remain outside of this building, while the club would profit greatly by its presence. The basement of the other wing of the building contains the boilers and coal and kitchen arrangements.

The first floor will be divided into a large grill room for men who wish to take a light lunch in the building, and two small dining rooms either for students and friends who are visiting Cambridge or for the training tables; the latter have been suggested. A grill room would thus be at one end of a long hall with the billiard room at the other end. The third floor of the wing can be divided into three or four rooms to be used as the House Committee shall determine in the future. One room could be used as a private study; another could have tables for games, such as checkers, chess, etc. A third room could be used as a small lounging room for private conferences and discussions. It was thought at first that the building should contain some bedrooms, but the advisbility of this is questionable, as it ought to have either no bed-rooms or many. The second floor in the centre of the building contains a small assembly room capable of seating 70 men.

The committee having the matter in charge will be glad to have suggestions and the assistance of the Harvard men who are interested in the subject. Letters can be addressed to Assistant Professor A. C. Coolidge.