The December Monthly

The first article in the December Monthly is a discussion of the new admission requirements by Professor Emerton. He begins by summarizing the tendencies which led from the first adoption of the elective principle to the proposal to take the logical step and satisfy "the demands of those who were not afraid to trust the elective system even in the lower schools. Almost every party was willing to vote for this, upon one condition--that it, the party, might put its own valuation on each study and have its own way as to how much value should be required for admission." So that the whole question of electives in admission requirements shook itself down to the practical one of "'points,' and combinations of 'points'," which finally produced the system about to go into force. Professor Emerson then discusses most interestingly, in the real body of the article, the ancient and modern language question, the possibility of omitting Greek, and the order in which the languages are at present taught in the schools.

Another important contribution to the number is "A Prelude in Purgatory," a poem of some length by W. V. Moody '92. To criticise a single poem fairly or well is almost impossible. But, in the present case, it is possible to remind the College that much of the best verse which has appeared in the Monthly has been contributed by Mr. Moody both before he graduated and since. According to the memory of the present reviewer, the "Prelude in Purgatory" deserves as much praise as any of these.

An article on "The Scope of Sir Henry Irving's Work," by Stanton Elliot '00, is a brief but very interesting sketch of Irving's career. There is no attempt at a deliberate analysis or criticism of the actor's art, but Irving's abilities and limitations are indicated with the clearness and fulness necessary to an understanding of his success and achievements.

Two stories, "In the Name of his Ancestor," by W. Jones '00, and "Over the Range," by R. C. Bolling '00, deserve mention. The first is an Indian story told with simplicity and charm, the second is excellent of its sort--that met with most commonly in undergraduate publications--but has no merits above its class. The "Child Verse of Stevenson and Field," by G. H. Montague; 01, contains nothing beyond the obvious. Presumably it is printed because it is well written.

Some verses by W. C. Arensberg '00, and two editorials, one on the giving up of the society slate in senior elections, the other on the football season, and some interesting book reviews complete the number.