AN EASY VICTORY

Brilliant Interference and End Running. Poor Defensive Work.

The eleven defeated Bates yesterday afternoon by a score of 41 to 0. The game was full of sensational plays, as neither team tried many mass plays, but made for the most part long end runs. The Harvard backs circled the ends with good interference and gained anywhere from twenty to fifty yards on almost every run. Although the large score was due partly to the weakness of the Bates ends, the Harvard interference was very creditable and was responsible for most of the gains. It formed quickly, got away firmly, and stuck together very well. This, however, was the only part of the work which showed any improvement. The line, although strong in defense, did not put enough life into the play and seldom broke through to open holes or block punts. The backs did not stick to their interference sufficiently, gained little ground through the line, and made several costly fumbles.

W. R. Lawrence, who took Kernan's place in the second half, failed only once to gain and made several runs of over twenty-five yards. Kernan also made long runs but he hesitated and failed to follow his interference. Kendall showed a bad tendency to run back, which would be very costly against a good team. In the first part of the game Campbell did very poor work and allowed Towne to get around his end several times for substantial gains. Roberts, who took Sargent's place in the second half, played a faster game than usual and stopped some of the plays, but his snapping back was very erratic. Ellis hurt his leg early in the game and Stillman, who took his place, was of little value in bucking the line and lost a good chance to score by fumbling on the three yard line. All the touchdowns were the result of long end runs by W. Lawrence, Kernan and Kendall. J. Lawrence kicked all of the six goals, three of which were difficult ones, and Kendall kicked a goal from the field after a free catch by Daly on the forty-eight yard line.

The line-up was as follows: Harvard.  Bates. Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Cole, Hamlin. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Hunnewell. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Holden. Sargent, Roberts, c.  c., Baldwin. Lee, Hollingsworth, l.g.  r.g., Hunt. Graydon, Eaton, l.t.  r.t., Jordan. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Moody. Daly, q.b.  q.b., Allen, Gould. Kendall, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Towne. Kernan, W. R. Lawrence, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Munroe. Ellis, Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Small.

Score--Harvard, 41; Bates, 0. Kernan 2, Lee, W. Lawrence 2, Kendall. Goal from field--Kendall. Goals from touchdowns--J. Lawrence 6. Referee--Lane of Harvard. Umpire--Boal of Harvard. Linemen--Hallowell of Harvard and Gould and Wellman of Bates. Timekeeper--Wood of B. A. A. Time--20 and 15 minute halves.