Marvin Retains the Championship.

E. R. Marvin 2L. successfully defended his title of University tennis champion for the fifth time yesterday by defeating W. H. Laverack '01 in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5. The match was more closely contested than the score shows, for nearly every game was hard fought. Marvin was much steadier than Laverack and although he had fewer clean passes to his credit, he made on the other hand fewer outs and nets. Marvin's service was not a hard as Laverack's but was more accurate and he served only one double fault in the three sets to Laverack's four.

Both men played a back court game most of the time. Laverack was more sure at the net and used his superior reach to advantage. Marvin was very careless here and lost many points by smashes into the net. In the first set Laverack was not at his best and Marvin won easily, using a swift back hand stroke with great effect. In the second set Laverack improved greatly, running nearly every game to deuce and earning most of his points. Marvin's play weakened a little here but he finally won after a long deuce game. Laverack started with a rush in the last set and soon had the games 4 to 1. He could not keep the pace, however, and after the game stood 5 to 4 allowed Marvin to win three games in succession and also the match.