Hockey Notes.

The University hockey team played the Sophomores yesterday afternoon on the Soldiers Field rink, and defeated them by a score of 7 to 5. Most of the playing of the University team was defensive, with the purpose of testing a newly desired combination of players. This comprises a general shifting of all the men so as to make room for A. M. Goodridge at goal. In yesterday's game the Sophomores showed lively, aggressive work, and were thus able to score two goals in the first half and three in the second. The line-up of the teams was as follows: University -- A. M. Goodridge, goal; Russell, point; Vander pool, (Hardy), coverpoint; Laverack, Rumsey, Beardsell, Hoxie, forwards. 1902--Perkins, goal; Stevenson, point; Chaffee, coverpoint; Winsor, Pruyn, Cook, Seaver, forwards.

The team will play Brown this afternoon on Soldiers Field at four o'clock. The line-up will be the same as that used yesterday, with the exception of the withdrawal of one of the forwards in favor of F. J. Goodridge, who has recovered from his recent injuries.

The probable line-up of Brown will be: Chase, goal; Steere, point; Low, coverpoint; Cooke, Pevear, Bartlett, Phillips, forwards.

The first of the final series of games for the interclass hockey championship will be played between the Seniors and Sophomores this afternoon on Spy Pond. The fact that both teams have so far done equally well makes the outcome of the series doubtful. Last year '99 won the championship by defeating the Sophomores in the finals. The make-up of '02 will be the same as used yesterday. The '00 line-up will be as follows: Carpenter, goal; Farrington, point; Clement, coverpoint; George, Parker, Drinkwater, Ward, forwards.