Cambridge Social Union.

The work of the Cambridge Social Union has been more than usually successful during the past winter, not only in the various courses of instruction offered, but in the library and reading room as well. This is due in large measure to the efforts of professors and undergraduates who have devoted part of their time to the enterprise. Of the courses offered, the most popular proved to be those in arithmetic, grammar, shorthand and typewriting. The last two have proved especially useful on account of their great practical value. The class in singing has also had a large attendance. One very interesting innovation this year has been a class in Spanish, which has been attended with great regularity, though by a comparatively small number of students. The total membership of the educational department is about two hundred, and the weekly attendance in all the classes averages nearly 500. The library has had a very prosperous year. Connected with the juvenile library is a room for games, where the younger members of the Social Union are entertained by undergraduates who are willing to spare time for this purpose.

The following Harvard men have taught courses this year: S. H. Batchelder 1L, F. C. Todd '00, R. C. Hatch '00, E. B. Hilliard '00, W. N. Seaver '00, E. L. Adams '00, B. S. Welsch '00, S. G. Wellington '00, D. H. Farr '00, H. Linenthal '00, W. D. Lambert '00, F. G. Bauer '00, A. W. Cooper '01, W. T. Foster '01, A. D. Wyman '01, G. B. Collier '01, W. F. Williams '01, K. B. Emerson '02, F. Pope, sS.