New University Shell.

The new shell designed for the University crew by Clinton H. Crane, and now being built by Davy, is nearing completion. The boat is one foot longer than that lately built for the Freshmen, and three feet longer than the standard length, though the width has not been changed. Its dimensions are: Length, 64 feet 1-2 inch; beam, 23 inches; depth amidships, 9 1-2 inches; at bow, 5 inches; at stern, 4 inches. It is slightly fuller than the old model, with more flooring. The increase in fulness is at the bilge with an inch more camber in the stern section. This gives the stern the tapered appearance of a four, but to offset the change the last two sections are considerably fuller, which will tend to keep up the crew after the stroke. The bow is modelled after the old English shells and is sharper than the ordinary model. The bow section is rather more of a V shape than usual, and is expected to give more stability and to prevent rocking and twisting. The boat is designed to carry a crew averaging about 172 pounds, but has sufficient buoyancy to carry one averaging as high as 180 pounds.