Observations of Eros.

Observations of the new planet "Eros" which were started by the Astronomical Department in South America last April are now being continued at the University Observatory under the direction of Professor Pickering and Professor O. C. Wendell.

The most interesting and important of these observations was held last night, when the planet reached the same point in its loopshaped orbit at which it was previously observed by Professor Wendell. The atmosphere was fairly clear and several views were taken, but their value is not yet assured. By a comparison of the two sets of photographs, however, obtained under similar conditions is hoped that the path, size and distance of the planet from the earth may be much more accurately determined than would have otherwise been possible. The collection of astronomical pictures from which to determine this final data will be more complete at the Harvard Observatory than any other in the country. Although the planet was not discovered until 1897, photographs of it were obtained by the department in 1893, when it was at the point nearest to the earth, and these are the only photographs of the kind, in which "Eros" is shown in its nearest position. At present it is about twice this distance from the earth and will continue to recede for about ten years when it will again approach the earth, and regain its former position after an interval of thirty-five years.

These observations at the Observatory will continue until about the first of March when it is supposed that the planet will be too far distant for further observation in the United States. It is intended then to continue the investigation at the station in South America from which the first observations were carried on, and where, it is believed, the planet will be visible about a month longer than in any other part of the world. The final results of the work will not be officially computed until spring.