Conventions During the Recess.

During the Christmas recess, about twenty American Associations of learning will hold their annual meetings in various cities of the east, and at nearly all of them Harvard will be represented by members of the Faculty and others.

One of the oldest and largest of these, the Modern Language Association of America, will hold its nineteenth annual meeting in Cambridge on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, December 26, 27, 28. The headquarters of non resident members will be the Hotel Berkeley, Boston. A few men, however, will be accommodated at the Union and the Colonial Club. The privileges of both clubs have been extended to members of the Association for the time of meeting.

Four regular sessions will be held, in Sever 11, on Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and afternoon and Saturday morning. These are open to the public. The first session will be opened by an address of welcome by President Eliot. On Thursday evening President and Mrs. Eliot will receive at their house members of the Association and their wives. After the Friday morning session, by invitation of the President and Fellows of Harvard College, members of the Association and their wives will eat luncheon in the Faculty Room, University Hall. In the evening, the gentlemen of the Association will be entertained at the Colonial Club. At 9 o'clock Saturday morning, before the regular session of the Association, the American Dialect Society will hold its annual business meeting.

The seventeenth annual meeting of the American Historical Association will be held in Washington, D. C., on Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday, December 27, 28, 30, 31. The American Economic Association will also meet in Washington, on the first three days of the Historical Association meeting. Harvard will be represented by two members of the Faculty who will read papers as follows: Prof. Ephraim Emerton, "The Chronology of the Erasmus letters;" Prof. A. Lawrence Lowell, "Party Legislation in Parliament, in Congress and in the State Legislatures."

The Archaeological Institute of America will hold a general meeting on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, December 26, 27, and 28, at Columbia University, New York. The Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis will also meet at Columbia University on Friday and Saturday. A joint meeting of the two associations will be held on Friday afternoon. Addresses will be delivered by Harvard representatives as follows: Dr. George H. Chase, "Some Terra-Cotta Types from the Heraeum"; Dr. Edmund von Mach, "The draped female figures from the Acropolis of Athens: an attempt at classification"; Professor John H. Wright, "Some Aspects of the Work of Heinrich Brunn."

The Geological Society of America will hold its fourteenth winter meeting from Tuesday, December 31, to Thursday, January 2, inclusive, at Rochester, N. Y. Professor W. M. Davis will read two papers at this meeting, the first on "The Walls of the Colorado Canyon," and the second on "The Effect of the Shore Line on Waves." Mr. C. R. Eastman will address the meeting on the subject, "The Devonian Fish-fauna of Iowa."

A number of associations are to meet together at the University of Chicago, under the name of the Affiliated Societies, from Monday, December 30, to Thursday, January 2, inclusive. They are the American Society of Naturalists, the American Morphology Society, the Association of American Anatomists, the American Physiological Society, the American Psychological Society, the Western Philosophical Society, the Society of American Bacteriologists, the Botanists of the Central and Western States, and the American Folk Lore Society. Ten or twelve Harvard representatives will probably attend, and among them Professor Josiah Royce, President of the American Psychological Society, who will deliver the presidential address on "The Relations between Psychology and Logic."

There are to be two mathematical association meetings, one at Columbia University, New York, on Friday and Saturday, December 27 and 28, and one at Evanston, Illinois, on Thursday and Friday, January 2 and 3. Dr. Maxime Bocher, Mr. D. R. Curtiss, and Dr. C. L. Bouton will represent Harvard.

The American Chemical Society meets on Monday and Tuesday, December 30 and 31, at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; and the Society for Plant Morphology and Physiology will hold its annual meeting at Columbia University from Tuesday, December 31, to Thursday, January 2. Harvard will probably not be represented at either of these meetings.