Summer School for 1901.

The first copies of the pamphlet of the Summer School for 1901 were issued on Saturday. The nature of the instruction offered and the general plans of the school are announced as practically identical with those of last year. The only changes made lie in the personnel of the instructors and in the usual withdrawal and addition of several courses.

The Greek course in the reading of Homer's Odyssey and Attic Prose, and the course in Latin word-formation will be omitted this year. Professor Baker's English course in Argumentation, the course on the works of Chaucer, the lecture course on "The Teaching of Elementary Mathematics," the geological course of field work in the Catskill region, and the course in Mineralogy and Lithology will also not be given.

A course in Greek history, from the prehistoric period to the decline of the nation, will be substituted for the course in Roman History offered in 1900. A new course of twenty-eight lectures on the great periods of English History will be given by Dr. Cross, Harvard '95, of the University of Michigan. 'German Literature of the Classic Period," will be given instead of the course in "Middle High German" offered last year. Two courses in Music, a course in Analytic Geometry, and an advanced course on the "Morphology and Ecology of Plants" are offered for the first time. The philosophy of the inomotor with its uses and applications will be taught in connection with the courses in Physical Training.

The excursions to points of historic interest in or near Boston and Cambridge will be conducted as they were in 1900. The popularity of these excursions was attested last year by an average attendance of over one hundred on each excursion.

Special railroad rates for the Summer School students have been secured this year for the first time. Two-thirds of the homeward fare will be deducted on tickets over all the railroads covering the territory east of the Alleghany, the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. A similar reduction will probably be secured from points in Texas and in some of the central and western states.