The Blaschka Glass Flowers.

The work of remounting the Ware collection of glass flowers, at the University Museum, has been discontinued, and will not be resumed until Professor Goodale returns from his vacation. The work, thus far largely experimental, has proved entirely satisfactory. There was a possibility that the weight of the larger models, five to eight pounds, would cause the plaster mounts to break, when stood upright in the cases, but sufficient time has now elapsed to allow for any such accident, and none of the plaster casts show any signs of weakness.

About twelve of the glass models have been remounted, and there is a marked improvement in the effect produced when they are compared with the models of the flowers as they come from Germany, mounted on cardboard. The whole work onremounting is carefully done, in the Museum itself. After the plaster for a mount is cast, minute holes are bored in it, where necessary, and then the model is secured in place by fine silver wire. All the fastening of the ends of wire is done at the back of the cast, and at a slight distance there is nothing to show how the model is attached to the plaster mount. On the other hand, on arrival from Germany, the models are secured by copper wire passed through large, carelessly made holes, to cardboard mounts, and the wire is then fastened at the front or back of the card, as convenience dictates. The difference between the two methods is great. The plaster mounts, aside from the matter of looks have two distinct advantages; they will not warp, and thus endanger breaking the glass models; and they may be readily cleaned, with a wet cloth or sponge, while the surface of the cardboard is spoiled by an attempt at cleaning.

About twenty new models have been received at various times throughout this college year, and as they have come in, they have been put in their proper places in the arrangement of the series, awaiting Professor Goodale's return, before they can be remounted on plaster.