Mr. Harrison's Lecture.

In Sanders Theatre last night, Mr. Frederick Harrison of London gave a lecture on "The Writings of King Alfred." He began by sketching the condition of Saxon literature when Alfred began his work:

After the period of the Danish invasion, learning among the West Saxons had almost entirely disappeared, and the greatest works of the time were written in a language which the majority of the people barely understood. In an attempt to decrease this evil and make it possible for the common people to have the benefit of the greatest books and best literary production of the time, King Alfred began two distinct tasks. He wished first, to restore the lost learning; and secondly, to put the great books of the world into the mother tongue of his people. The actual work of the first he left for scholars, the second he undertook himself. And by its accomplishment, he became the first translator and leader in our ancient literature and offered a primary education to his people, which has not been made effective until the present day.

There are five books of which King Alfred is certainly the author: "Pastoral Care," and "Dialogues," translated from Gregory's Latin, the "History of the World" and the "Consolation of Philosophy," adopted from Boethius, and the "History of the Church of England," translated from Baeda. It is the translations form Boethius which show best the literary genius of the King. Many parts depend in no way upon the original text, but are Alfred's own work. Comparing this translation of Boethius with that of Chaucer, some five centuries later, and of Queen Elizabeth, we find it far excels them both, in its finer style, dignity, and simplicity of phrase. In short, Alfred may be said to have founded a fine organic and rhythmical prose in a language which, if not our own, is at least its basis.