HARVARD, 11; U. OF P., 3.

Harvard Makes Brilliant Plays.--Batting Good, Fielding Erratic.

By hard and timely hitting the nine won the second game from Pennsylvania on Saturday, 11 to 3. Pennsylvania's errors with men on the bases made the game an easy one. Harvard's fielding was not reliable although there were several brilliant plays and the team work was generally smooth and scientific. Errors on simple plays marred the work and gave Pennsylvania two of her three runs. The base running was, with one exception, well judged and fast, and took full advantage of Pennsylvania's misplays. Besides being timely and hard the batting was scientific. Three times when the first man up in an inning reached first base the second batter sacrificed him to second with an excellent bunt, and the run was then scored on a hit. If the game had been close this system would have been very valuable. In the field, the almost mechanical team play in throwing and backing up did not, however, lessen the blame for the six bad errors.

The most unusual play of the game was made by Frantz. In the seventh inning Pennsylvania had two men on bases with two out, when Brown knocked a hard line hit towards right field. Frantz jumped more than two feet in the air, knocked down the ball and put the runner out at first by about a foot. This play prevented one and possibly two runs. Frantz's poor throw in the eighth inning was excusable, as it was made after a difficult one-handed stop which threw him off his balance. Reid was somewhat unsteady behind the bat and his wild throw to second was the cause of Pennsylvania's first run. At the bat, he made a home run, one of the longest hits made on Soldiers Field this year. Devens, who has hitherto been weak at the bat, showed a great improvement, making a two-base hit and two singles, all of which brought in runs. Clarkson allowed only two hits, struck out eight men, and was remarkably steady with men on bases. At times he was wild, and gave three bases on balls, but with steady support would have scored a shut out. He was much harder to hit than at any other time this season. Fincke, Coolidge, Clark and Frantz worked well together in the infield. The running down of Layton between the first and second while Noble was held at third in the third inning, and a fast double play in the ninth were both brilliant plays. In spite of a strong wind Clark, Wendell and Stillman caught several high flies which were hard to judge. Stillman, Clark and Fincke made excellent sacrifices on well placed bunts, and Stillman made a hit by beating out a bunt.

Frantz opened the second inning with a single, Stillman sacrificed him to second and Devens scored him with a two-base hit. Devens then scored on Coolidge's single. In the fourth inning Stillman went to first on White's error, reached second on Fincke's sacrifice and scored on Devens's hit. In the sixth inning singles by Frantz, Stillman, Devens and Clarkson and a series of errors of Collier, White, Gawthrop and Brown gave Harvard four unearned runs. In the next inning Clark reached first on Brown's error, and Reid brought him in with his long home run. Harvard scored the two last runs in the eighth inning. Coolidge got a base on balls, and scored on Clarkson's three bagger. Clarkson came home on Wendell's out at first.

For Pennsylvania, Noble got to first in the third inning on a wild pitch which was his third strike. Brown sacrificed him to second and he went to third on Clark's fumble of a thrown ball. After Layton had been caught stealing second, Reid threw wild to second to catch Collier and Noble scored. In the eighth inning Pennsylvania scored on a base on balls, a stolen base and errors by Coolidge and Frantz. The last run was made in the ninth on Gawthrop's double, Fincke's fumble and outs by Newman and Flavell in a double play.

The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Wendell, l.f.  5  0  1  1  0  0 G. C. Clark, 3b.  4  1  1  1  2  1 Reid, c.  5  1  1  7  2  1 Frantz, 1b.  4  2  2  12  0  1 Stillman, c.f.  3  2  1  2  0  0 Fincke, 2b.  3  1  1  1  8  1 Devens, r.f.  4  2  3  0  0  0 Coolidge, s.s.  3  1  1  2  4  2 Clarkson, p.  4  1  2  1  4  0 Totals,  35  11  13  27  15  6 PENNSYLVANIA.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Collier, 2b.  3  1  0  2  4  2 White, s.s.  4  0  0  2  3  2 Jones, 1b.  4  0  0  13  0  0 Gawthrop, c.f.  4  1  1  1  0  1 Newman, l.f.  4  0  1  1  0  0 Flavell, c.  3  0  0  3  1  0 Noble, r.f.  3  1  0  0  1  0 *Bennett,  1  0  0  0  0  0 Brown, 3b.  2  0  0  2  3  2 Layton, p.  2  0  0  0  5  0 Totals,  30  3  2  24  17  7

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  0  2  0  1  0  4  2  2--11 Pennsylvania,  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  1  1--3

Earned runs--Harvard 4. Home run--Reid. Three-base hit--Clarkson. Two-base hits--Devens, Gawthrop. Sacrifice hits--Clark, Stillman, Fincke, Brown. Stolen bases--Wendell, Stillman, Fincke; Devens, Collier 2. Double plays--Reid to Fincke; Coolidge to Frantz. Bases on balls--by Clarkson: Collier, Flavell, Layton; by Layton: Coolidge. Struck out--by Clarkson: Collier, White, Jones, Gawthrop, Newman, Noble 2, Bennett; by Layton: Reid, Stillman, Coolidge. Wild pitches--Clarkson 2. Time--1h. 55m. Umpire--Snyder.

*Batted for Noble in the ninth.

*Batted for Noble in the ninth.

*Batted for Noble in the ninth.