HARVARD, 7; CHICAGO, 1.

Very Slow Game.--Fincke Plays at Second Base.

Harvard won a poor game from the University of Chicago yesterday by a score of 7 to 1. The game was closer than the score indicates, as Chicago several times got men as far as third base and was kept from scoring oftener only by very steady fielding. Stillman struck out thirteen men and allowed only four hits, but he had poor control and gave six bases on balls. With the exception of Reid's two wild throws the fielding was steady and good. The team, however, did not have the speed and cleverness that was shown in the Cornell game. Chicago was very unsteady in the field, making five very costly errors, and by slow throwing allowed Harvard to steal ten bases.

Captain Reid was unsuccessful at the bat and in the field made two wild throws, one of which resulted in a run. His speed and watchfulness, however, kept the Chicago runners very close to the bases. Frantz again made a home run, but at times he did too much swinging at bad balls. His slowness in fielding a ball to the plate gave Chicago her only run. Clark and Wendell did very well at the bat, making timely and well placed hits. Fincke, after only two day's practice, went in at second and played excellently. He made two difficult put-outs and had two hits. Devens and Coolidge were weak in batting as was Stillman, although his three strike-outs were somewhat counter-balanced by a three-base hit. Clarkson in centre field made a good catch with the sun in his eyes. The best play of the game however was Harper's catch of a high foul which was very hard to judge.

Chicago took the lead by scoring a run in the first inning. Place got a base on balls, and advanced to third on Reid's bad throw to catch him at first. T. B. Smith then knocked a slow ball toward first base, and Frantz, instead of throwing to the plate, ran back to touch the base, thus allowing Place to score. Harvard's first score was the three runs made in the third inning. Clarkson made a scratch infield single, stole second and went to third on Wendell's hit. Clark hit to right field, bringing in the two runners, and scored on Hoover's error and a wild pitch. In the fourth inning with one out, Fincke singled. Clarkson forced him out and then stole second. He went to third on a passed ball and scored on Van Patten's wild throw to first to catch Wendell. Clark singled, and Wendell went to third, but Reid was put out, retiring the side. In the fifth inning Stillman knocked a three-base hit to centre field, and scored on the poor throw in. With two out Coolidge got a base on balls, stole second and scored on Fincke's single, which dropped safe between two fielders. Harvard's last run, scored in the seventh inning, was a long home run by Frantz which rolled over to the Second nine diamond.

With one out in the third inning, Merryfield made a three-base hit, but a strike out and a good stop by Stillman kept him from scoring. In the next inning, with two out, Sunderland reached third, but Horton struck out. In the sixth inning two hits and a base on balls filled the bases for Chicago, but a ground hit to Frantz ended the inning.

The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Wendell, l.f.  5  1  3  0  0  0 G. C. Clark, 3b.  4  1  2  0  1  0 Reid, c.  4  0  0  12  3  2 Frantz, 1b.  5  1  1  8  0  0 Stillman, p.  4  1  1  1  3  0 Devens, r.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0 Coolidge, s.s.  3  1  0  1  0  0 Fincke, 2b.  3  0  2  2  0  0 Clarkson, c.f.  4  2  1  1  0  0 Totals,  36  7  10  27  7  2 CHICAGO.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Merry field, 1d, 2b.  4  0  1  3  0  2 Place, c.f.  0  1  0  0  0  0 Howe, c.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0 T. B. Smith, p.  4  0  1  0  4  0 Harper, c.  2  0  1  7  2  0 Sunderland, s.s.  3  0  0  2  3  1 Van Patten 3b.  4  0  1  1  0  1 Horton, l.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0 Hoover, 1b.  4  0  0  8  0  1 H. C. Smith, r.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Totals.  30  1  4  24  9  5