Bowdoin Prize Subjects.

Bowdoin Prizes are offered this year for dissertations in English and in Greek and Latin. For the English dissertations two prizes are offered to undergraduates in regular standing--a first prize of two hundred and fifty dollars, and a second prize of two hundred dollars. For graduates a prize of three hundred dollars is offered "for an essay of high literary merit belonging to a special field of learning." Undergraduates may write on any subject approved by the chairman of the committee on Bowdoin Prizes. Graduates must choose a subject in mathematics or natural science.

For dissertations in Greek and Latin, prizes are also offered both to undergraduates and graduates. The undergraduates may compete for two prizes of fifty dollars each. One of the these is offered for a translation into Attic Greek of the passage in Green's Short History of the English People, chapter 1, section II., beginning "It is with the landing of Hengest," and ending with "Gildas tells us nothing of their fortunes or of the their leaders."

The other prize is for a translation into Latin of the passage in Hooker's Ecclesiastical Polity, book I., chapter XV., beginning "Laws being imposed," to the end of the book, omitting the notes.

Graduates may compete for a prize of one hundred dollars for an original essay in either Latin or Greek, of not less than three thousand words, on any subject chosen by the competitor. To compete a man must be a holder of an academic degree who has been in residence in the Graduate School for one full year during the period of 1898-1901.

All inquiries concerning these prizes should be sent to the chairman of the Department of the Classics.