PRACTICE SHOWS MORE LIFE.

First Eleven Scores Four Times-Work Long and Hard.

The longest scrimmage of the season was held in the secret practice yesterday when the first and second elevens lined up against each other for halves of twenty and fifteen minutes. The cold weather infused dash and energy into the playing which was unusually hard and at times fast, with the result that four touchdowns were scored by the first team, three in the first half and one in the second. Very little time was given to preliminary work which consisted of punting by Kernan, Leatherbee and Leonard, and a short signal practice.

Stillman and Daly were again on the field, but were not allowed to take any active part in the play. King and Burgess also were out and went into the line-up for a while. Two former players, O. F. Cutts 3L., tackle last year, and J. Lawrence '01, tackle in 1900, played on the second eleven against Shea and Knowlton. Besides the coaches who have been out regularly of late, there were B. G. Waters '94, A. H. Gould '96, and P. D. Haughton '99.

During the first part of the scrimmage the linemen played too high and not far enough forward, but by the end of the practice there was decided improvement, and as a whole the showing was considerably better than it has been for some time. End runs, however, were the only effective means of advancing the ball, for as soon as line plays were used the second team secured the ball on downs. The principal fault was that the men did not give sufficient assistance to one another. Most of the touchdowns were due to long gains around the end by Kernan, Knowles, Hurley and Putnam by which the ball was brought with in scoring distance and was then carried over by Knowlton. Marshall made some long runs on punts.

The following are the line-ups: FIRST ELEVEN  SECOND ELEVEN. Matthews, Motley, l.e.  r.e., O'Connell, Macdonald Shea, l.t.  r.t., Oveson, Cutts, Bleakie Marshall, l. g.  r.g., Mason King, Lyon, c.  c., Force Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Pettingell, Wilder Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., J. Lawrence, Fox, Lehmann Burgess, Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Randall, O'Connell Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Parker Kernan, Knowles, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Dodge Hurley, Putnam, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Goodhue, Foster Graydon, Harrison, f.b.  f.b., Schoellkopf, Foster, Leonard