BASEBALL CRITICISM.

The University baseball squad has now been out long enough to show just what sort of work each man is doing. In general the battery work is improving and the fielders doing well; but the batting is still weak.

Among the pitchers W. Clarkson '03 has good speed and curves but poor control owing to a bad trick of side-wheeling. In batting he settles and slugs too hard. A. Stillman '03 has developed fair speed and moderately good control; his arm is getting into shape and he is working hard and conscientiously. He bats fairly well, but has a tendency to over step. H. S. Hutchinson '04 is improving in speed and control. His batting is weak. F. H. Schoenfuss '04 is as yet awkward, being unaccustomed to the new motion. He does not start the ball high enough or finish out with sufficient snap; but on the whole he has good control. At the bat he steps away badly, slugs, and hits at bad balls. R. R. Alexander '04 and H. C. Dudley '02 are both improving.

Of the catchers R. P. Kernan '03 is improving most on matters of technique; but is not very quick or accurate on his throw. He is a weak batter, being troubled by settling as he swings. H. S. Parker '04 is very weak in his throw, not using his body enough. His batting is poor. P. E. Marean '03 is slow on his feet, and a weak hitter.

At first base E. B. Nye '02 is working hard. He does not step out well to meet the ball, and does not coach and stir up the fielders enough. He is a fair batter. E. W. Leonard '03 steps out well, but is slow on his feet and lacks life. He is a fair better. J. D. Clark '03 is careless, and weak on low balls. In batting he settles badly, and does not pick the balls.

Among the candidates for second base, S. H. Skilton '04 is a fair fielder, but is slow and has a tendency to clip plays. In batting he has a tendency to scoop balls. C. B. Marshall '04 is fast on his feet, but a slow thrower. He is a cramped bitter. H. A. Jackson '03 is a strong, but unaccurate thrower. His tendency is to lose control of his body. His batting is weak, as be steps away and slugs. L. J. Daly '03 is a hard worker, but is slow on his feet and in getting off his throw. His batting is weak.

At shortstop P. Carr '04 in troubled by overrunning the ball and often missing it altogether. His batting is fair. H. Bennett '04 is a fair fielder but slow in handling grounders. His batting is very weak. W. C. Matthews '05 is fast on his feet, but his fielding as a whole lacks precision.

Among third-basemen J. F. Dever '04 is inaccurate in fielding and throws off his balance. In batting he both slugs and scoops. G. M. Leonard '03 throws well but is slow in recovering before his throw. His batting is very weak.

In the outfield B. Wendell '02 is fielding fairly well, but is an inaccurate thrower. His batting is fair but he does not pick the balls. W. B. Wood '02 is slow and fights the ball. He is a poor hitter. H. L. Movius '02 is an awkward fielder and thrower but a fair hitter. R. Christenson '02 is careless in his work, but has a good throw. He is a poor hitter. L. P. Pieper '03 does not get down on ground balls and covers very little territory. He is a weak thrower, and at the bat tries to hit too hard. A. Black '03 is slow in getting his throw off. He is a fair batter, with a tendency to slug. J. S. Lovering '03 is slow, and an awkward thrower. He bats fairly well. W. M. Rockwell '03 is a fair fielder, but slow in getting his throw off. At the bat he has a tendency to settle and step away. E. Bowditch '03 is fast on his feet, and fights the ball. His throw is inaccurate and his batting stiff and cramped.