Engineering Journal.

The second number of the Engineering Journal, which has just been issued, maintains the high standard of excellence set by the first number which appeared in April. The articles as a whole are interesting and instructive. The number is made attractive by several excellent cuts, the one of Robinson Hall deserving special mention.

The leading article is written by Professor H. L. Warren on "Architectural Education at Harvard University." After setting forth the ideals in architecture which the department seeks to attain, the writer details the methods by which the work is carried on in pursuance of these ideals. He concludes his article by presenting the stages in the growth of the department since its foundation in 1893-94. Mr. W. D. Swan contributes an article on "Nelson Robinson Jr. Hall." After referring to the importance of the change from the crowded quarters in the old building on Holmes Field, he gives a general description of the outside of the new building. Each separate room is then described and information about the various casts and drawings given in detail. The article is illustrated by excellent cuts of the Hall of Casts, of the freehand drawing room, and of the library, and by a sketch of the old architectural building. Next in the number is printed in full the lecture on "Illuminating Gas," delivered before the Engineering Society last November by Mr. W. E. McKay. The last article on "Storage Batteries," by P. W. Davis A.B. '93, S.B. '95, describes some of the mechanical and operating details of this power for lighting, for heating and for railways. The exposition is made clear by several cuts and diagrams.

The editorials refer to the value of the lectures given before the Engineering Society during the past year, to the annual dinner, and to the organization of the Topiarian Club. The last editorial calls attention to the election of Dr. A. E. Kennelly as professor in engineering for next year and states the courses that he will give. The number is concluded by a sketch of Dr. Kennelly's life and by an account of his valuable contributions to science.